Post new question
Question

Highlighted
Honor Student
Message 1 of 4 (130 Views)

Black screen and caps lock blinking twice on startup on HP 2000-369WM after replacing fan

Product Name: HP 2000-300 Notebook PC series
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

My friend's laptop showed on screen that the fan was faulty and it would shut down within 30 seconds or something after that message popped up. I got the part, replaced it, got everything put back together....and now when I try to turn it on, the power comes on, hard drive and fan both spin, but the screen is completely black (not even a flicker) and the caps lock LED blinks twice in succession before pausing for several seconds and then starting in on that pattern again. The power light and HDD lights are both active. Anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 4 (76 Views)

Re: Black screen and caps lock blinking twice on startup on HP 2000-369WM after replacing fan

2 blinks usually signals BIOS corruption. I would start with the easiest "possible" fix first which is a hard reset/power reset. Remove power adapter and battery, hold power button for 15 seconds, then try to start with only power adapter. If it works you are good and can shut down and replace battery.

Second and bit more complicated is attempt a BIOS recovery as instructed here:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

Last suggestion- remove power adapter and battery- then remove CMOS battery on motherboard for a minute before putting it all back together and try to power on.

Good luck!

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others**
******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to say -Thanks!.******
Honor Student
Message 3 of 4 (50 Views)

Re: Black screen and caps lock blinking twice on startup on HP 2000-369WM after replacing fan

Hi there Smiley Happy Thanks for the response. I tried all of these today, and unfortunately, none of them seem to work. When the first one didn't, I went down and tried to do the second one and make the broken comp a BIOS recovery USB from my own PC, and I got as far as trying to start up the program, but I end up with an error after accepting the terms and conditions that reads: "IHISI: Get support mode fail in SMI!" When I hit "okay" on that message, this error pops up: "BIOS did not support insydeflash!" and I hit okay on that, and nothing else happens.

After running into that issue, I went ahead and took the laptop apart and removed the CMOS; I replaced it after several minutes and put everything back together, but I'm still having the same issue.

Do you have any futher ideas? Any clues as to how to fix the  error in the BIOS recovery software? I've tried compatibility settings and haven't had any luck with that, either.

Provost
Message 4 of 4 (27 Views)

Here is a link to another post where he details how he made a usb BIOS recovery. Hopefully it will help and you can adapt it to work for you:
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/DV4-1120us-bricked-by-HP-s-own...

Of course-do not use his BIOS file- use the BIOS from your support page:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-2000-300-notebook-pc-series/5145724/model/517108...

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others**
******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to say -Thanks!.******
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation