Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Pavilion 14-bk069na

Machine hung at 36% reset for 8 hours so I hard switched off to try to get into recovery but black screen and flashing caps lock 5 long white and 3 short white and notebook keeps switching itself off. Black screen

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@GeorgiB 

Please try a hard reset and see if it works.

• Power off your laptop,
  • Remove the a/c adapter, battery and everything that is attached to your laptop,
  • Hold the 'POWER' button down on your laptop for about 10 seconds,
  • Plug in the a/c power supply (without battery) and power on.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I did try resetting the RAM, removing the fixed battery and plugging the power supply in after first hard rebooting but now the whole PC is dead. Not even getting led lights with power supply attached. So I am advising the client it is motherboard failure. The warranty on this machine expired in 2018 so not worth attempting to replace the motherboard.

For the record, the laptop had started running painfully slow so I attempted to reset the machine via the cloud not keeping any data. The install began but hung for 8 whole hours at 36%. So I hard rebooted it and then it kept automatically switching itself on and off after 5 seconds with black screen and caps lock white lights showing the code of 5 long lights followed by 3 short lights. I consulted 2 other fellow computer technicians who said it pointed to a possible failing motherboard. The HP Pavilion 14-BK069NA has no CMOS battery but by removing the large black internal battery and reseating it that can also reset the BIOS. I should add that the laptop was no longer posting at all and none of the HP commands to get into the BIOS were working including repeatedly pressing ESC on bootup. In the words of Monty Python, this parrot is dead

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.