cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
DBP80
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Solved!

Black screen bios reset

HP Recommended
Omen 17-an113no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My notebook constantly (i.e. every few weeks) locks up with a black screen. Normally it happens when I try to wake the computer up from sleep mode, and the issue will then continue also after I reboot (by holding power button until it shuts off, and re-starting). The screen is black, but the fans and led light are on. The only way I have found to resolve this is by rebooting by resetting the BIOS (hold Win + B buttons). Any idea why this keeps happening? 

Also, I have ran the HP "System Extensive Test" and found nothing.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
34,049 26,486 3,092 6,659
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@DBP80 

The HP diagnostics will not help in this situation because they are unable to look into the BIOS firmware to diagnose any issues with it/

What you are doing is restoring the BIOS from a hidden backup on the drive.  It appears your BIOS firmware is getting corrupted on an ongoing basis and that is a serious issue you can not fix on your own because the BIOS chip, which could probably be replaced in a desktop, is soldered to the system board of the laptop and can not be replaced.  You would have to replace the entire system board and that could easily cost more than simply replacing the laptop.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
1 REPLY 1
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
34,049 26,486 3,092 6,659
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@DBP80 

The HP diagnostics will not help in this situation because they are unable to look into the BIOS firmware to diagnose any issues with it/

What you are doing is restoring the BIOS from a hidden backup on the drive.  It appears your BIOS firmware is getting corrupted on an ongoing basis and that is a serious issue you can not fix on your own because the BIOS chip, which could probably be replaced in a desktop, is soldered to the system board of the laptop and can not be replaced.  You would have to replace the entire system board and that could easily cost more than simply replacing the laptop.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation