Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP 17" laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The numbers below are the only numbers other than the serial # that make any sense and it is raised in the plastic on the back of the computer. I attached a picture.

Model # 15-db0005ds

Product ID : 5SM45UA#ABA

When I turn the unit on the only light that does anything is the caps lock.  It flashes 3 long slow flashes then 2 short quick flashes.  No audible beeps.  The only sound is the fan running.

20191017_122533.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@dms554
Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help,  I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

• Did you make any changes in the settings of your PC prior to the issue?
  • What are the troubleshooting steps you have tried so far?

Firstly, run Hard Reset: Follow steps from the link: https://hp.care/2GnkMa8 (if the computer doesn't start up/power on you can skip the next step)

Next step, BIOS default: 

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click
“Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried these solutions and neither made any difference.  

Also I had not made any changes to the computer prior to this issue showing up.  I use the computer almost weekly at the least and I just attempted to use it as I normally would however it didn't boot up properly as usual.  Thank you again for your assistance 

HP Recommended

@dms554 Specific patterns of long and short blinks along with long and short beeps (where applicable) identify errors during the startup process,

The LED blink/beep sequence near Caps Lock and Number Lock keys indicates the type of error:

3.2 blinks on capslock represents: The embedded controller times out waiting for BIOS to return from memory initialization.

The solutions is: 

Reseat the memory. See the section Reseating memory modules in a notebook for more information.

If reseating the memory does not resolve the problem, try replacing the memory modules. You might also consider contacting support for repair due to a possible RAM or system board failure.

For steps on removing and reconnecting (reseating) the memory module, check the below image or simply click here and check page. 43 - 44 of Component replacement procedures:

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you.  I tried tour suggestion and it did not solve the problem.  The caps lock does start blinking immediately when the system turns on just as a point of information.   It does seem to be waiting for any components to initialize.

HP Recommended

@dms554 That could only mean that this is a hardware malfunction and I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.