Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion
Unknown

Hi.

I'm using a HP Pavillion notebook and the laptop turns on I hear the fan, the caps lock flashes three times and the Wi-Fi light is on but the screen won't turn on.

Any help?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

You did not provide the exact model of your notebook.

Model number

Three blinks usually indicate a problem with the memory. First, try performing a power reset. Here in the link below, you can see how this is done:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768

Next, you should try reseating the RAM modules.

If you have more than one module, you should try each module in each slot and see if there is any problem with the RAM modules or slots.

If still not working you should try a different RAM module.

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying:)

I can't get the model number because the screen doesn't turn on and the sticker underneath has come off.

I tried the power reset, it didn't work but I have no idea how to reseat it

HP Recommended

OK.

By reseating I mean the RAM modules. Depending on the model, there will either be a service door, or you will need to remove the bottom or top cover to get to the RAM modules:

Example:

memory module.PNG

So, you should remove and place back in again. If there are two modules, you can try one at a time in each slot to see if maybe one is defective and/or try with a known good module.

Regards,

David

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.