1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Blank screen on laptop

HP Recommended
Pavilion Dv6
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Product #LM199UA

Laptop monitor remains black after booting up. Caps lock Led blinks one long blink for 1 second, off for 2 seconds, on for 1 and repeats endlessly. 

I have tried:

1-unplugging ac removing the battery and holding the power button down for 15 seconds

2-holding windows button and B button down while booting

3-holding windows button and v button down  while booting

4-replaced the cmos internal battery

5-reset the ram

6-had an external monitor plugged in. 

All to no avail. Please help 

2 REPLIES 2
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
30,702 30,609 2,794 6,752
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Fate83 

Sorry for the bad news, but when a laptop does not even power on, you have few if any options for getting it working again on your own.

To determine the cause with hardware failures, you have to be able run diagnostics. We have no way of accessing your PC from here, so we can not do that for you. You have to do it yourself. You do this by pressing the Esc key repeatedly when rebooting and then, when the HP Startup Menu appears, selecting Diagnostics (usually F2) and letting it run.

But if it is NOT possible to run diagnostics, then there is NOTHING more you can do by yourself -- and there is NOTHING we can do.

You will need to have the PC physically examined in a service facility by folks that can run their own diagnostics to determine what is wrong with it. And the problem with that is, while HP does do repair work of some sorts on PCs still under warranty, they generally do NOT do repair work on PCs out of warranty because they are not a general purpose repair facility. You would have to contact them in advance to see (1) if they are willing to work on it, and (2) if they will provide you any kind of repair cost estimate.

Since you live outside the U.S., here is a link to HP Service Centers, by Country/Region: https://support.hp.com/in-en/service-center

If that link does not get you a useful page, then use the main HP link:
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
ilove2singbb
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am suddenly having the same issue this morning on model # 15dy1036nr, the screen is blank and I hear the laptop booting and shutting down when I use the power button, but the monitor is not working at all.

If I plug it into an external monitor via HDMI, it works without issue.

I attempted to follow these steps (https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03518165 ) through Step 2, but there's no drivers for this model on HPs site. I have not attempted Step 3 and beyond yet in hopes that someone would have some easier insight (possibly installing drivers from different location) to fix the issue?

I haven't even had the laptop for a year yet, so quite surprised I'm having such a major failure..

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation