Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 4 (164 Views)

Blank screen on normal startup and BSOD after safe mode scans (106 infections)

Product Name: envy-6
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hey guys. 
The problem first began when i was using google chrome and my laptop just hung and went completely unresponsive. When i force shutdown and restarted it started fine but the next time i opened chrome it hung again. This time the restart in normal mode just went from the windows logo to a blank screen. When i stared in safe mode and ran my avg command line scanner it found 106 infections but wasnt clear on its actions against it. Whenever i run this scan i can start it on normal mode again and seems to function normally but clicking on chrome brings back those problems. when i tried using firefox it slowed down and went unresponsive too. After a few days of normal usage i started getting BSODs quite frequently (usually a few minutes after normal startup and desktop access...and today after happening twice in normal mode ive only been able to see my screen in safe mode. the command line scanner brings the same results. Cant seem to do a boot time scan with avast as it just goes from the windows logo to blank screen. Any advice? 

0 Kudos
Retired
Message 2 of 4 (146 Views)

Re: Blank screen on normal startup and BSOD after safe mode scans (106 infections)

[ Edited ]

Welcome @0Serizawa0, 

This is a great question other customers may also be wondering about; please click the Accept as Solution if you feel this post has helped you, or could help others. You can say thanks easily by clicking the Thumbs Up below!

Have you tried performing a hard reset?

What is the BSOD error message?

Did you happen to make Recovery Disc's for your Notebook? 

Have you done a BIOS reset?

Please take a look at the Computer Might Be Infected by a Virus or Malware (Windows 10, 8) document; This document will explain viruses and malware to you. It contains instructions for removing viruses and malware and offers other suggestions for you. 

There is a document from Microsoft that you can read over to help also. In the document, it will give you an option to use the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool and gives you the following information; 

For more information about the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool, see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 890830 - The Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool helps remove specific, prevalent malicious software from computers that are running Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, or Windows XP. 

Have you tried to do a System Restore to a date when it was working properly?

To use System Restore in Windows:

• Go to the Search
  • Type Control Panel
  • Click Control Panel
  • Click System
  • Click System Protection
  • Click System Protection Tab
  • Click System Restore
  • Click Next
  • Choose a Restore point
  • Click Next
  • A box that says "Once started, System Restore cannot be interrupted. Do you want to continue?" will pop up
  • Click Yes to Confirm

When the System Restore is finished, you will get a pop up that says it has been completed.

Please try the troubleshooting steps provided above and let me know if you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you! Please don't forget to include the results of the troubleshooting steps, answers to the questions asked above, and your Model Number (How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?).

Thank you for joining the HP Support Community! I look forward to hearing your response. 

Have a great day! Smiley Happy

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
Honor Student
Message 3 of 4 (124 Views)

Re: Blank screen on normal startup and BSOD after safe mode scans (106 infections)

Don't have an appropriately old recovery point. Bios reset seems pointless since the problems elsewhere. For example. My screen started working fine after a boot time scan with avast that found a single virus . but when I tried to play dota 2 every time I connected to a game it would keep disconnecting from the net. And troubleshooting will reset the wireless adapter and it will work for a few seconds and disconnect again... When I restarted from that and tried again dota didn't even start because...no 3d graphics detected...Now both my display adapters are "not working properly" And have yellow exclamation signs on them in the device.manager. installing them from online hp driver assistant doesn't make a difference. My screen comes on fine. I'm guessing it's a virus that's happily wreaked havoc on my drivers and can't really be helped anymore...'ll have to reinstall Windows or something ?
Retired
Message 4 of 4 (121 Views)

Hey, 

Thank you for getting back to me! At this point, you may very well be right. It sounds like the resolution may just be a System Recovery, I would suggest backing up files so that there is no loss of personal files.

Do you have recovery discs?

Just as a precaution, please make sure to read the entire documentation before performing any of the actions.

Please take a look at the Recover Windows 7 Operating System Using Microsoft Windows Backup and Restore. This is used to Recover, Restore, or do a Clean Install of Windows 7. There is also a document called Performing an HP system recovery (Windows 7) if you would like to take a look at that also. 

If the computer originally came with Windows Vista or Windows XP and the computer was upgraded to Windows 7, the recovery process will reinstall the original operating system. You must upgrade to Windows 7 (again) after the system recovery is completed.

If the computer originally came with Windows XP and was upgraded to Windows 7, see Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows XP.

If the computer originally came with Windows Vista and was upgraded to Windows 7, see Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows Vista.

Let me know how this goes. 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation