Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 15 (3,109 Views)

Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) when Starting up Windows 7

I've got a Pavilion dv7-4069wm with windows 7 and the video went haywire, so I turned it off and turned it back on. When I did that it went to the BSOD and listed  "atipmdag.sys" as the issue on the blue screen. I tried to use the restoration disks and recovered it to original factory settings, so now I can't get it to start in safe mode since it wants to run the initial setup. If anyone knows how to fix it, it would be greatly appreciated!! THANKS!!

0 Kudos
Intern
Message 2 of 15 (3,103 Views)

Re: Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) when Starting up Windows 7

tap F8 at boot up will give you the option to start in Safe Mode

Provost
Message 3 of 15 (3,103 Views)

What initial setup?

Best regards,
erico
If I was able to help you or guide you on your way to resolve your issue, you can click on the purple Thumbs up + icon to say thanks.

If your problem is solved , please click the Accepted Solution button

I am not an HP Employee, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time
Top Student
Message 4 of 15 (3,102 Views)

I've tried pressing F8 to use safe mode....when I attempt to start in safe mode, I get a message that states that Widows cannot run safe mode in initial setup since I've formatted the window partition of my hard drive to restore back to original factory settings.

Provost
Message 5 of 15 (3,099 Views)

So does the blue screen still exist or is the issue that the initial setup will not continue. Sorry but it is not very clearly stated. Which one is the current issue?

Best regards,
erico
If I was able to help you or guide you on your way to resolve your issue, you can click on the purple Thumbs up + icon to say thanks.

Top Student
Message 6 of 15 (3,097 Views)

Actually both issues exist currently, if I allow windows to attempt to start normally it goes to the blue screen and if I attempt to start in safe mode (which is what I've seen as common to attempting to fix the blue screen isssue) then I get the message that Windows cannot start in safe mode during the initial setup. I'm at a loss of where to turn now.

Provost
Message 7 of 15 (3,094 Views)

merganeser wrote:

Actually both issues exist currently, if I allow windows to attempt to start normally it goes to the blue screen and if I attempt to start in safe mode (which is what I've seen as common to attempting to fix the blue screen isssue) then I get the message that Windows cannot start in safe mode during the initial setup. I'm at a loss of where to turn now.

Start the Recovery process from the beginning again.

Best regards,
erico

Top Student
Message 8 of 15 (3,076 Views)

I've attempted the recovery process with discs twice last night and got the same result after each attempt. Is there a manual process to remove this driver??

Provost
Message 9 of 15 (3,059 Views)

Are you able to enter the BIOS?

In the BIOS perform the memory diagnostic test and the hard disk (long) test.

Post your results please.

Best regards,
erico

Top Student
Message 10 of 15 (3,033 Views)

I entered the bios and performed the test on the hard drive and memory and both passed. I also tried the recovery process again and same problem(s).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation