Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteBook 840 g4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an EliteBook 840 G4 2017 model

After a windows update I received a blue error screen, it flashed up so quickly, but I think it went something along the lines of IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

The laptop restarted and ever since then its been stuck on the 'Diagnosing your PC' screen with turning circle dots and HP logo. I have tried the following so far;

• Hard reset - I opened it up, removed the battery, discharged the power for 30 secs then replaced the battery and powered on.
  • Removed the SSD drive and re-seated again
  • Ran the HP diagnostic test on all components and none had any problems
  • Pressed F11 and tried all of the Troubleshoot - Advanced options (Start-up Repair, Start-up settings, Command Prompt, Uninstall updates and System restore, all froze as soon as I chose them and none ran. The only one I didn't try at this point was the UEFI Firmware Settings one)
  • Changed the BIOS boot order and tried to use a Windows 10 created USB boot drive to access recovery. As before, I could access the recovery menu, but when I asked it to do any of the recovery actions it froze
  • Checked BIOS to see when last updated, changed from booting Legacy with safe mode on, to legacy with it off and then to disable legacy, also turned off fast boot
  • Due to changing booting with legacy settings HD then wasn't recognised, so I went into BIOS and restored the default settings
  • Accessed windows recovery via the F11 again and this time tried the UEFI Firmware Settings, laptop said a restart was needed to change these settings, I pressed restart and nothing happened, blank screen.
  • I tried system image recovery but it went white when I selected it and nothing happened, it never moved on from the selection!

Currently when I go into the BIOS under the UEFI boot order it lists the following;

M.2: Windows Boot Manager

USB:

NETWORK BOOT: IPV6 Network - Inter(R) Ethernet Connection (4) 1219-V

Under legacy boot it lists no devices and states to enable legacy boot etc. 

I cannot think of anything else to try! I have tried using an external USB HD and attempting to reinstall windows 10, it doesn't work, it starts and then freezes! Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, surely the laptop can't be totally knackered?

My hard drive now appears not to be there, but when I go back to diagnostics and run the test on the HD is tells me its passed and its fine?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I finally managed to do a fresh install of Windows 10 and the laptop is running perfectly again. Lost everything that was on the HD through and the laptop was fine until windows update! 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

I still kind of sounds like the drive. What M2 drive is in there?

Could you try a different drive? Have you tried reseating the RAM?

Does it ever freeze in BIOS? When it freezez does shutdown occur?

Let us know,

David

HP Recommended

I finally managed to do a fresh install of Windows 10 and the laptop is running perfectly again. Lost everything that was on the HD through and the laptop was fine until windows update! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.