Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 15

HP 15 laptop gets blue screen when powering on that ask for keyboard language. Even after I provide English as a keyboard language, it won't boot up. I've tried a hard start, removing the battery, BIOS test.... Laptop powers on without the battery so I'm assuming it's not a battery issue. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Theresia64 The 3F0 error represents a hard drive malfunction and this could have been caused due to the interruption of the OS re-installation, hence, I suggest you make use of a recovery media to reinstall a fresh copy of windows, if you don't have one, you may order one using the instructions mentioned here, if that doesn't help or do the trick, we may be looking at a hard drive failure and I suggest you perform a hdd test using F2 to confirm.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Theresia64 Welcome to HP Community!

Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution: 

Click here for steps on finding the information we need!

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Could you attach a screenshot of the blue screen you are on? Does it have any error codes/messages?

Meanwhile, I suggest you try to access the BIOS by tapping F10 during a restart and check if that works, if yes, reset the bios to defaults using the screen instructions and save before exit, 

If the issue persists, restart the device using the power button, When Windows fails to start properly, you might be prompted to start in recovery mode. When this happens, the Choose an option screen displays.

If the Choose an option screen does not display, shut down your computer. Turn on your computer and repeatedly press the esc key until the Startup Menu opens. Begin a System Recovery by pressing F11, then use the following steps to open Windows in Safe Mode.

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Riddle Decipher and thanks for the reply.  Since my original post, I did a system recovery or restore (can't remember which) but accidentally interrupted by unplugging.  I now get a black screen with the following:

IMG_20191109_115342421[3541].jpg

I'm now running extensive search on hard drive that'll take about 1.75 hours but not sure if I'll get the answer I need from that?

Since my first message, I did an system restore or recovery ( can't remember which) and accidentally interrupted by unplugging my computer which is why I now get the above screen?!  Any further information you can provide? 

Do I really need to reinstall operating system (W10) as I briefly saw it again earlier today as being installed?

Would replacing the battery (which is probably all that was wrong in the first place) resolve this matter or have I totally botched my computer?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@Theresia64 The 3F0 error represents a hard drive malfunction and this could have been caused due to the interruption of the OS re-installation, hence, I suggest you make use of a recovery media to reinstall a fresh copy of windows, if you don't have one, you may order one using the instructions mentioned here, if that doesn't help or do the trick, we may be looking at a hard drive failure and I suggest you perform a hdd test using F2 to confirm.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for further followup.  After numerous attempts at BIOS, etc. I ended up taking computer to a professional; it was the hard drive that needed replacing.  I appreciate your attempts in helping me!

HP Recommended

@Theresia64 The pleasure is all mine, that said, I'm glad the hard drive was replaced and that should help fix the issue for good.

Feel free to get back to us anytime, for any further assistance.

And have an awesome day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.