Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have already been through everything suggested at the HP page.  Turning on and off, taking out battery, pushing f9 & f10, removing the hard drive and putting it back in.

When I get to the point to push f2 to test the hard drive nothing happens it just takes me to Boot Device Not Found.   And I have also tried f11 to get to recovery, again just stays on the Boot Device Not Found page. (yes I am pushing the over an over when I first power on)

No software has been added or removed.

When I opened it up to unplug and replug the hardrive, I noticed she didn't have a fan...space for it but no fan.
Thank you for any and all help you can give me.
Forrest

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi, Forrest:

Your model has a Pentium or Celeron processor, those don't have fans.

Personally, I don't agree with the hardware engineers regarding the fan not being necessary, but that is neither here nor there.  Folks tell me those notebooks without fans run hot, and heat and hard drives don't mix.

As I see it your notebook either has a very corrupt operating system, completely dead hard drive, or the hard drive controller on the motherboard went out.

Do you have a spare notebook hard drive you can plug in and test just to see if the notebook tries to boot from it, or you can make W10 installation media and try to install W10 on either the current hard drive or spare, and see what happens?

You can create W10 installation media from another Windows PC using the media creation tool at the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You can make a W10 USB flash drive installer using an 8 GB flash drive.

Since I can't tell you exactly what the issue could be, I don't want you to go wasting money on a hard drive at this point.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your quick reply.
I will try to use my hard drive...its not a spare.
But something I will try tonight when I get home.
When I have my drive in can I then download the windows 10 or will it mean a new hard drive for my daughters computer?

Thanks
Forrest

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Forrest.

Since you don't have a spare hard drive you can test, if W10 can't find a hard drive to install on when you try to install it on the hard drive in there now, you will have to take a chance and buy a new hard drive, and hope that fixes the problem.

If W10 doesn't install on the hard drive, the chance the hard drive has failed is much greater than the chance the motherboard/drive controller has failed.

So, what you want to do is up to you if W10 doesn't install.

If your daughter does not need a lot of storage space, you may want to consider replacing the mechanical hard drive with a solid state drive (SSD), for two reasons:

1.  Much better performance than a mechanical hard drive.

2.  More reliable than a mechanical hard drive because there are no moving parts, and the SSD doesn't run as hot.

The only drawback is the price per Gigabyte of storage.

I use this SSD in a few of my HP notebooks and desktops.  It works great.   But it is only 240 GB.

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-240GB-Solid-State-SDSSDA-240G-G26/dp/B01F9G43WU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qi...

The 480 GB SSD is $79.00

A good replacement 1 TB standard hard drive is about the same price as the 240 GB SSD.

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-BarraCuda-2-5-Inch-Internal-ST1000LM048/dp/B01LYNQXCP/ref=sr_1_6?ie=U...

Anyway, those are the cheapest HDD recommendations I can offer, with no 100% guarantee that will fix the problem, but again I think it will, if W10 won't install on the current HDD.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.