Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13-aw0057na
Linux

Hi folks,

I hope someone can help me with this really annoying problem. I have recently set my laptop up to dual-boot between Windows 11 and Linux Manjaro. The issue I am having is that the laptop is freezing at the GRUB/bootloader screen if any active USB device is connected. If I disconnect the USB devices, the machine will boot just fine.

If I tap F9 whilst starting the laptop, I can access what I presume is the BIOS boot selection screen. I can choose Manjaro from this screen, then it will load the GRUB/bootloader and it works. It's puzzling.

From what I have read and understand, the issue seems to be caused by the lack of USB Legacy mode. There doesn't appear to be an option to enable this in my BIOS (version F28). The description of the Boot Options menu does make reference to USB Legacy mode, but there is no way to select it.

FYI - I have Secure Boot disabled, otherwise I won't be able to dual boot. I have read elsewhere that disabling Secure Boot is supposed to enable USB Legacy Mode by default but that does not seem to be the case.

I would really appreciate your help with this. Thank you!

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Is it possible to force my laptop to use the HP Boot Menu (F9) by default? This would solve all my problems and then I could simply disable GRUB bootloader. Thanks!

HP Recommended

I managed to try a different bootloader other than GRUB (rEFInd). The exact same issue is present. I am now fairly certain it has something to do with the laptop freezing when checking for USB devices just as the GRUB screen is loading. Is there some sort of diagnostic tool in the BIOS I could use to troubleshoot this?

It seems to be only peripherals. So keyboard and mouse. It doesn't seem to freeze with just a USB pen drive connected for example. I don't know if there's some sort of conflict going on but it would be great to get to the bottom of it. It's a very frustrating problem.

It would be great if someone from HP Support could interject here with some help. Although the laptop is just out of warranty, it was very expensive, so I hope they can still provide some level of support. Thank you!

HP Recommended

Hi@vipergrm,

Welcome to the HP Support Community! I'd like to help!

I see you are experiencing boot issues with the HP Spectre Laptop.

I have a few recommendations 

• Update your Notebook computer to the latest BIOS from HP.COM.
  • Make sure the Windows and HP support assistant updates are up to date. 
  • One solution to the boot failure problem is to disconnect the hard drive from the computer before you turn on the computer and connect the USB after the operating system has loaded.
  • USB Legacy Support enables the computer to use USB peripherals without running operating system drivers and can cause the system to hang on boot when an external USB is connected. USB Legacy Support can be turned off through the BIOS.
  • The computer may be set to prioritize booting from USB devices over internal hard drives which can cause the system to hang when you turn it on. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Update your Notebook computer to the latest BIOS from HP.COM.

My laptop is using the latest BIOS, which I believe is F28. Is there a later version of this I'm not aware of?

Make sure the Windows and HP support assistant updates are up to date.

I always make sure my device is installed with the latest updates, which it currently is.

One solution to the boot failure problem is to disconnect the hard drive from the computer before you turn on the computer and connect the USB after the operating system has loaded.

This is a workaround rather than a solution. It's a nuisance to have to do this each time.

USB Legacy Support enables the computer to use USB peripherals without running operating system drivers and can cause the system to hang on boot when an external USB is connected. USB Legacy Support can be turned off through the BIOS.
The computer may be set to prioritize booting from USB devices over internal hard drives which can cause the system to hang when you turn it on.

Despite my BIOS making reference to legacy boot, there is no actual option to change this in the latest BIOS (F28). If you know where it is, please enlighten me. I've been through every sub-menu in the BIOS and there's no option to change it.

I can provide my serial number if you need to verify the BIOS layout and latest BIOS version etc, but obviously I am not going to post it on a public forum. Thank you!

HP Recommended

Hi@vipergrm,

Thank you for responding, I appreciate your time and effort.

You can try doing complete Recovery on the PC using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. Click on this link for further steps. 

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I've already done a factory reset and also resetting the BIOS to default settings to no avail. Surely there must be a way to fix this in the BIOS or at least a BIOS update that will re-enable the ability to toggle legacy support? The BIOS instructions indicate that it was there before, but isn't any longer.

Incidentally, I have a Lenovo laptop which I tried this on and it works perfectly fine, so I'm quite confident in saying that it is a BIOS/hardware issue with this Spectre model.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi@vipergrm,

Thank you for responding, I appreciate your time and effort.

It could be a hardware issue on the HP Spectre Laptop. As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now. I would request you to contact our HP Support Engineers and should be able to sort this out. HP provides repair or service options for out of warranty products as well. Hence I encourage you to contact HP support for all warranty service options.

Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the service/replacement options.

Follow the instructions below to reach them:  

1) Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp 

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.  

4) Select the country from the drop-down.  

5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences.  

6) Fill the web form and proceed further.  

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

For any hardware issue or repair please click on the link Phone Assist Worldwide

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.