Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy dv6 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I created a bootable USB under cmd in Win 10 on both my other laptops and copied onto the flash drive Win10 in .iso form.

On Envy laptop, I pressed F9 and set USB drive to priority for booting; however, the message immediately returns that no OS was found on the disk/drive. Same happens when pressing F10 and making the USB adjustments (of which an exclamation point appears under both USB/CD ROM and UEFI (I think that is the acronym-- you know what I mean).

Win7 will install onto the Envy--it is not an .iso. This could be a major difference, no?

This method worked previously with the same laptop (Envy) using the existing failing HD, which had Win 10 already installed. So, I suspect it is this "new" HD I just received that is the issue. It is installed correctly -- too simple to mess that up.

The Hitachi HD is used, of course, because of the age of the Envy (2012). The Envy originally had WIn 8 installed; the guy who sold it to me had Win 10 installed. It worked fine, though it heats up easily. The only other issue which developed was the HD was no longer responding to any diagnostics in BIOS. The message there was: Imminent Failure.

So, I found another compatible HD and installed it; tried to install OS; encountered same roadblock all 3 times; so, I write here for advice.

Any ideas?

J.S.Oro
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@JosOro 

I am surprised you can use the ISO file that's on the boot stick -- because that is not supposed to work.

But since you have the ISO file, then why not make a better boot stick by using the free RUFUS utility to create boot media from that file?  You can get RUFUS from here:  Rufus - The Official Website (Download, New Releases) 

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@JosOro 

I am surprised you can use the ISO file that's on the boot stick -- because that is not supposed to work.

But since you have the ISO file, then why not make a better boot stick by using the free RUFUS utility to create boot media from that file?  You can get RUFUS from here:  Rufus - The Official Website (Download, New Releases) 

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.