Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 450 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone,

I get this error on my HP Probook 450 G4 (Windows 10 Professional),

BootDevice Not Found

Please install an operating system on your hard disk.

Hard Disk - (3f0)

I followed the steps shown here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443463 but nothing worked. When I try step 5, system recovery, I cannot get the recovery media to boot (including windows repair USB, HP Cloud recovery USB and DVDs). The error does not show then but it gets stuck after the HP loading screen at a black screen. I have tried with various combinations of UEFI settings, secure boot / disabled, legacy / enabled, fast boot / disabled and so on. Nothing. Alhtough, when I try with an Ubuntu liveCD it does boot and the SSD is shown at Disks application but it is not accessible because I guess... Bitlocker.

In UEFI the SSD is not visible unless I boot from Ubuntu and then restart and enter UEFI (F10).

I have data in the SSD that I need to access. What a mess! Any ideas?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

When you perform the Hard Drive test at boot is there an error message

Does it perform the test

It is usually an indication that the drive has failed

Did you have bitlocker turned on?

David

HP Recommended

Hi David,

Thanks for your super fast reply!

I have gotten all sorts of results from the Hard Drive Test.

When it comes up by itself after boot the answer is that there is no drive available (that is the black screen with only Quick and Extensive test available). I have also gotten SMART Check: WARNING (1: Not available), Short DST: Not available (1: Not available) and once the test was passed.

When I press F2 on boot and the Diagnostics come up it passes Quick, Extensive and Long tests.

And that is annoying!

From what I have looked on my microsoft account the bitlocker is suspended. And when I placed the ssd to an external enclosure and tried manage-bde -status on another pc it showed Protection: off, lock: unlocked, key protectors: none found, percentage encrypted: 100%.

And from ubuntu livecd I can mount and access the system partition but not the bitlocker partition.

Thanks so much for your interest.

Dimi

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.