Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp 15-g019wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone. I made some updates on a friend's hp 15-g019wm and now the laptop gets stuck at the HP logo on booting (no spinning dots), however it continues booting if I press any key on the keyboard, that's, dots start spinning and laptop boots. After signing in, I have to again press a keyboard key to get the mouse and touchpad to work. However everything works smoothly afterwards, including the keyboard.

Weird thing! If I boot the laptop without the keyboard, it boots normally and mouse cursor shows immediately!

Here is what was done on the laptop:

1. Upgraded memory from 4GB to 8 GB

2. Upgraded the hard drive to a 500 GB SSD

3. Updated the BIOS to latest version for that model on the HP support website

4. Fresh installation of Windows 10 home latest build, using Microsoft official ISO

5. Had to install the old (2015) graphics driver for that model from HP website because the one that Windows update installed made the screen freeze.

Would appreciate any help here. Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Madrigal 

You should NOT have forced a Windows reinstall using Microsoft media -- that was a mistake!  Why? Because laptops require the specialized drivers that only the OEM provides and MS only installs generic drivers.  When you force an MS install, you are forcing poor drivers onto the laptop and we can not then guarantee that any of the hardware will work properly.

You should read the info below about creating HP recovery media and do a proper reinstall using that:

If your PC is a 2016 model or newer, you should see if you can make a bootable USB recovery drive using the HP cloud recovery tool on a working PC.

The recovery drive can then be used to install Win10 and the HP drivers and utilities that originally came with your PC.

Here is the link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi, I appreciate the advice, but this product is not supported for HP Recovery Media.

HP Recommended

@Madrigal 

OK, well in that case, all you can do is go to the HP product page for that model and download an install the drivers:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-15-g000-notebook-pc-series/6545564/model/6761879

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.