Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 15-j151sa
Windows 8.1

I bought a new HP laptop a week ago and it seemed like a fantastic machine. However it kept freezing to the point where I had to hold down the power button to turn off. Went back to retailer and did a straight swap.

However the new laptop (same model) is exactly the same. Freezes randomly, I may be browsing, or in a word document or reading a pdf and it will just freeze.

I'm not very technical but have updated drivers etc. A few days ago upon startup the BIOS updated. 

I'm completely confused and have spent a lot of money on the laptop. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

HP envy 15-j151sa
8GB memory
AMD Radeon graphics cad 2.50GHz
64bit windows 8.1

34 REPLIES 34
HP Recommended

Hello, i have a HP ENVY 15-j 151SA which i bought last week and i have the same problem. i like the laptop alot. everything seems good. i dont like the keyboard as much as my old hp laptop but over all looks great, expecially the metal cover.

however this freezing/crashing problem is really bad, i bought a new laptop so i could use it for djing so freezig would be a very big problem for me.

i hope someone can help me fix this problem also. i will contact my retailer tomarrow.

HP Recommended

Hi @UA14 ,

@colum5 

I grasp that your notebook freezes or locks up.  As this was a new purchase you returned it to the retailer and exchanged it.

The replacement did the same thing.  You have done a bios update but there was no change.

Have you done all your Windows updates?

Have you ran the HP Support Assistant to aid with HP updates?

Have you tried doing a Refresh Your PC to Resolve Problems (Windows 😎. This will reinstall the OS but should not affect your personal files.  Just to be safe I do recommend you backup your data first.

Here is a link to Computer Locks Up or Freezes (Windows 😎 that may also help.

With this being a brand new purchase, I recommend contacting HP support for assistance, especially since this is not the only one  with the same issue.  They can remotely access your system to  help find and fix difficulties.

Please call our technical support at 800 474 6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get a support number for your region.

World Wide Phone Support

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

thanks for the tips.

i had not done hp updates before it crashed, i only updated the anti-virous. and it says there are no updates for windows 8.1 and even if there are any it should update automaticaly as its set that way.

i went back to the retailer today and got another one... same model.

i updated everything including the hp bios and iv been using it for a few hrs.

however my internet has crashed. not the whole computer like last time but the internet has frozen. but when i closed it and opined it again it was ok.

im not sure if i will keep this laptop. if i hav any more problems with it in the next week i will trade it for a differnt brand. im considering buying something more expensive with better build quality. maybe get a lapetop with differnt processer. im not sure.

thanks. and sry about bad spelling 🙂

HP Recommended

@Sparkles1

I have done all the latest Windows Updates.

I have run HP assisant to ensure all HP updates have been performed.

As the problem is persisting, I have also refreshed my PC. Additionally I have also restored to factory settings. After all this Bios updated, HP updates and Windows updates completed.

Furthermore, I contacted HP support and was asked to run hardware diagnostics. Everything passed.

Following the freezes, upon restarting I have run eventviewer and found errors in service manager control (superfetch), but I'm not sure what relevance this has.

Otherwise a great machine, but this issue is really bugging me now. I don't really feel like taking it back to the retailer as they come across rude and dismiss the issue. But what I do find strange is that it seems to be a common problem.

So any help would be useful. Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi @UA14

@colum5

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hi Sparkles1, 

I have the same problem! please help me

HP Recommended

Hi @PhilippeOli ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!Smiley Happy

It is a wonderful place to find answers and tips!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide Learn How to Post and More

What is your exact model of HP notebook?

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

What Operating System are you running?

Is your notebook also brand new?

Did you try the suggestions in the previous post?

Did you also contact HP support for assistance?

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Thanks for sending my info to the appropriate hp team. I never was able to fix this problem. the hp team didnt contact me but thats ok, my older hp laptop which is about 4 years old is still running great. i sent the faulty laptop back and changed it for a differnt brand. luckly i had no more problems.

thanks for all your help tho.

HP Recommended

I've had the same problem for the two years I've been using my Envy. It's almost a daily occurrence. The hard drive had to be replaced after 3 months. I've replaced the original Windows 8 with 8.1 twice - and still the same old dreary cycle of freezing/crashing carries on and on. It's particularly bad using Windows office - when you're in the middle of a spreadsheet and the screen suddenly shrinks to a quarter of its size - the same with Word - and you know that the next predictable sequence is going to be total freeze, followed by having to hold down the power switch until the machine eventually restarts. Another frequent event is on powering up you get the message 'your computer has run into a prblem and will have to re-start. We are just retrieving some information for you and then we will re-start'. You then get the slow build up - 10%, 20%.. unti it gets to 100% - then it freezes and you have to go through the whole business of switching off again. It's all horribly, predictably, inevitably totally underwhelming and there seems to be no sulution. Never, ever again will I think about buying an HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.