Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I updated the BIOS for my Elitebook 840 G3 at BIOS Setup (Internet download) - to v1.47 The update was without errors and when it restarted, the screen remained blank and CAPS Lock and Num lock keys started flashing 2.2 (corrupted BIOS), similar to the loop many have described in these forums - multiple 2.2 flashes~reboot~flash~reboot. However, none of the solutions seem to work for me.

* Win+B or Win+V key combination doesn't seem to do anything at power up

+ CMOS battery disconnect, power-draining with power button pressed for 30+ seconds - no effect

* Disconnected battery, powered up using ac power, Win+ key combinations - no effect

* Disconnected SSD - no effect

In trying to create a recovery USB, the BIOS pack sp103696,consistently throws the error "The system BIOS update file is missing or corrupt. The system BIOS will not be updated" and offers only creating a backup option (Update, Creating a recovery USB, Copy - all are grayed out). Tried multiple downloads on multiple PCs, with same results. I am able to unpack the sp103696.exe file using 7zip, and locate N75_0147.bin file.

I tried downloading the sp BIOS file for a different model, run the executable, create the USB and slide in N75_0147.bin file in New/Current/Previous folders of the file structure the utility creates on the USB. Again tried all combinations with this USB - power on, Win+B+power, Win+V+power; The system seems to read off the USB in  the beginning, but that's it, same flash-reboot loop.. I guess the decrypt keys/files are different for different models.

I also tried creating the USB manually - with both Hewlett-Packard/../../ and EFI/../../ structures. Nothing, same effect.

On-board flashing of BIOS/EC BIOS using dumps from a 'good-working' G3 seems to be out question (using  a programmer), both chips appear to be BGAs, clips are of no use.

Any way out of the situation I am in? Can anyone with the same model create the recovery USB and share the image with me?

I am out of ideas and would be grateful for any suggestions.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.