Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
Rashed97 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bricked after BIOS Update

ENVY 15-3000 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

So I have an old ENVY 15-3000 that I was performing a BIOS update on a few days ago. The SSD in it isn't the factory original OEM one so there isn't an HP_TOOLS partition. So after the update ran inside Windows, it rebooted and is now in a bricked state. The caps lock light is flashing, and the airplane mode key is solid orange. Following HPs instructions on how to make a BIOS recovery USB stick, I have found that the installer files HP provides for this model are outdated and do not have the capability to make a recovery USB drive. Is there anything I can do about this or is it just bricked for good?

Thanks,

Rashed.

3 REPLIES
Retired
Retired
7771 449 840
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there @Rashed97,

May the Forums be with you!  It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel.  I understand that after a BIOS update your computer is not starting properly and there are flashing LEDs.  I am happy to help with this.

Try following this document: HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start (Windows 10). I realize that some steps may not be possible, but start from the hard reset and do all that you can. You are probably going to end up in: HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code.  Unfortunately you will not have the normal option of restoring the last known good BIOS.

What BIOS were you trying to install?  You could always try installing that same BIOS using the method in HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS, for "Updating the BIOS when Windows does not start (Windows 10, 8, 7).

Something here may work, but your last alternative would be a board replacement, if you choose to go there.

Please let me know whether any of that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Rashed97 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. I tried updating using the latest BIOS update tool form HP's support site ( link: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp60501-61000/sp60636.exe ) and it caused this. I believe it's the lack of an HP_TOOLS partition since I'm not using the original drive anymore. Also, I can't use the method described in the links you sent since when I try to install this BIOS, it immediately launches the Insyde Update tool and doesn't seem to have the HP System BIOS Update Utility (since it's an older machine that never had UEFI compatibility). Is there anything I can do other than purchase a new board. It doesn't feel right that I have to purchase a new board simply because I was trying to keep my machine up to date.

Thanks!

Rashed

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
7771 449 840
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I certainly understand how you feel. You could try contacting Phone Support and see if they have any options to offer.  If you wish, use the following http://www.hp.com/contacthp and create a case for your issue and contact HP.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation