Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Teacher
Message 1 of 3 (131 Views)

CANT POWER ON UNLESS A HARD RESET IS RUN - REPEATS CONTINUALLY

[ Edited ]
Product Name: DV7-6C20US
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

ACQUIRED THE ABOVE MACHINE - INITIALLY WOULD NOT POWER ON UNTIL I DID A HARD RESET ---SHUT DOWN AND REINSTALLED THE BATTERY HOWEVER THE WHITE LED BY THE CHARGER JACK STAYS ON AND AS B4 WILL NOT POWER ON

(GOOD BATTERY AND CHARGER) - THE ONLY WAY TO POWER UP IS TO REMOVE THE BATTERY AND START AND RUN OFF OF THE CHARGER - IT APPEARS TO BE A SYSTEM BOARD PROBLEM   ---(SEE NEXT POST)

0 Kudos
Teacher
Message 2 of 3 (103 Views)

CANT POWER ON UNLESS A HARD RESET IS RUN - REPEATS CONTINUALLY

PREVIOUSLY DESCRIBED A DV7-6C20US THAT WOULD NOT POWER ON UNTIL I DID A HARD RESET -  ONCE THE BATTERY WAS REPLACED IN THE MACHINE THE LED BY THE CHARGING JAX WOULD STAY WHITE, NO POWER ON - REMOVED BATTERY AGAIN -RESET- PLUGGED IN CHARGER AND POWERED ON -SHUT DOWN ---YESTERDAY POWERED ON SUCESSFULLY NORMALLY WITH BATTERY OR CHARGER - HAS NOT REPEATED POWER ON ANTICS FOR 2 DAYS -- CAN ANYONE POSSIBLY TELL ME, BASED ON WHAT I DID IF THE POWER ON ANTICS WOULD REOCCUR AND/OR IS IT A SIGN OF NO GOOD THINGS TO COME????

Retired
Message 3 of 3 (89 Views)

Re: CANT POWER ON UNLESS A HARD RESET IS RUN - REPEATS CONTINUALLY

Hi @LR7575,

Thank you for your query.

I understand that when you first purchased the notebook, it would not power on unless you removed the battery and started it on AC only. You could then reinstall the battery and continue working. The power LED would remain white. The battery and charger are fine. However, now it is starting on either battery or AC power without issue.

If it was a hardware issue, it is not likely that it would resolve itself. Perhaps an update was required and once installed the issue was resolved. I would keep a watch on the situation and let us know if it returns. You can run a hardware diagnostic to check for a hardware issue to help alleviate your concerns. HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 7, Vista)

To express appreciation for my post please click the Thumbs Up Icon. If my post resolves the issue you are experiencing, please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find what worked for you! 

Sparkles1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation