Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

CMOS - RTC battery not holding charge - HP G62

HP G62
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My HP G62 laptop sometimes displays a black screen when I try to boot up.   After researching, I found a work around:   remove battery, plug in AC adaptor and charge without battery for 30 min or so.   Then the notebook starts up with video OK, either with the battery (no AC),  with the battery (with AC), or no batery with AC.   If operating on batter with no AC for a while, then re booting the problem may re-occur.  

I  have read that this might be the CMOS battery not being charged by the notebook's main battery.   How do I fix this?  do I replace the CMOS battery, main battery, both or neither?    Thanks for any help.

2 REPLIES 2
Provost Provost
Provost
74966 74856 9147 19724
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@huskerjack

Welcome to HP Support Forum. Firstly the CMOS (or RTC) battery is not a chargeable battery. Please run a battery test, if failed you need a new (main) battery.

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c00821536

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
huskerjack Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you.  My main battery failed the test, so I will oder a replacment.  However, with no battery installed and AC plugged in the laptop sometimes still has a black screen at start up.   However, when I leave the AC plugged in a while (battery removed, power button on,  fan running, black screen) then power down and up again, then it works.    Could this be heat related and something needs to warm up to work, or is something being charged while the AC is plugged in?    Some posts claim there is a problem with the video chip on the mother board having connection problems due to heat, etc.

When the black screen occurs the cap lock is flashing about once per second and continues indefinately.  

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation