Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

My laptop will not start. Keep getting a message CMOS reset 502

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

I understand the  CMOS reset 502

Let's try some steps to help you.

✔️ HP Recommended SolutionHP PCs - 500, 501, or 502 error displays on a blue screen 

✔️ Reset the CMOS

In some cases, the automatic BIOS recovery fails because the Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor (CMOS) data is corrupted. The CMOS stores BIOS settings. Use this procedure to reset the CMOS and recover the BIOS.

Turn off the computer.

Press and hold the Windows + V keys, and then simultaneously press and hold the power button. After 2 to 3 seconds, continue to press and hold the Windows + V keys, but release the power button.

When the CMOS Reset screen displays or you hear beeping sounds, release the Windows + V keys.

At the completion of a successful CMOS Reset, a message similar to the following one is displayed.

cmos.jpg

Press enter to restart the computer.

If this does not recover your computer, see Recover the BIOS.

If the issue persists, I'm afraid this is a hardware issue. Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the service/replacement options.

JessikaV
HP Support Community Administrator

I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

Hello, 

This means the BIOS is assumed to be corrupt and the system will install a hidden copy of the BIOS to correct the problem and the startup process continues.

To resolve a BIOS error, you should run the HP Support Assistant (for Vista and Windows 7) to check the computer for the latest BIOS and other issues.

If the notebook doesn't allow you to get into windows then you will need to follow this document.

Can you give me the full model name and number of the notebook that you have?

Let me know the outcome.

THX

HP Recommended

Thanks for the information, but I tried pressing the Windows key, and 8 key while powering on. I HP tech support, and was told I needed to send the computer to them, but it is out of warranty. I decided to remove the BIOS chip and bought a new chip from My Tech. The chip has not arrived yet, but if that does not work, I will just trash the MB, and see if I can get a replacement on ebay.

HP Recommended

OK, if you went ahead and removed the CMOS battery already go ahead and place it back into the notebook and try booting up. Let me know what it says when you boot the notebook back up. 

Also, Can you give me the full model name and number of the notebook that you have?

THX

HP Recommended

I tried removing the CMOS battery. I left it out about an hour, replaced it, and the same message came up. I have removed the BIOS chip from the MB. I will solder the replacement onto the board when it comes in the mail. The model number is dv6-6125dx.

Thanks

HP Recommended

OK, please let me know the outcome.

THX

HP Recommended

I will. Thanks

HP Recommended

Also, I would make sure and follow this maintenance and service guide that HP provides you with on how to replace the battery. 

I can provide you with the link if you give me the full model name and number of the notebook that you have. 

THX

HP Recommended

It is an HP Pavilion dv6-6125dx

HP Recommended

OK, so are you replacing the MOBO or the BIOS CHIP/CMOS?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.