4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can I replace my old harddrive into a SSD drive in HP Envy

HP ENVY 6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there 

This particular model has 2 drive - 32GB SSD and 500GB SATA disk. We had this issue where this machine is shutting down itself and we suspected it has something to do with a disk cause the Windows keeps asking to do a disk repair all the time.

We decided to replace the 2nd disc by cloning into 500GB Samsung 850 SSD. we managed to cloning BUT when we boot up it won't boot up and went  to RAID controller mode.

RAID VOLUMES:

ID | Name | Level | strip | Size

0 | FFS | RAID0(stripe) | 128KB | 8.0 GB

1 | Cache | RAID0(stripe) 128KB | 18.6GB

Physical devices:

ID | Device Model | Serial | Size

0 | Samsung SSD 850 | Sxxxxx | 486.7 GB

1 | Samsung M2MPC032 | Sxxxxx | 29.8 GB

When we go to Enter Configuration Utility <CTRL-I>, we have an option to Reset  Disks to NON-RAID.

My question are:

1. How do we replace the harddrive then with this type of RAID ?

2. When we put back in the original harddrive, I don't see any option when boot up (Esc) ... to see the RAID configuration. Try Ctrl-I didn't work.

I'm appreciated your feedback. 

7 REPLIES 7
Retired
Retired
8121 8112 483 919
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @DCAlliances

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums! After reading your post I see that you have changed the HDD of the computer with a different specification (not recommended by HP), you have cloned the HDD and are trying to boot using the cloned HDD, our computers do not support cloned HDD for booting up. Recommend you to perform a recovery using the HP recovery manager which can be accessed by tapping F11 on startup or by using the recovery media.

For RAID options recommend you to try the steps below:

1. Turn on or restart the computer by clicking Start > Shut Down > Restart the Computer.

The following screen (RAID Option ROM) displays briefly during boot up. The RAID configuration utility

is English only.

To configure RAID in other languages, use the Windows-based RAID configuration utility.

2. Press Ctrl + I repeatedly as soon as the monitor light turns green to enter the RAID configuration utility.

If you do not press Ctrl + I at the appropriate time, you must restart the computer, and then press

Ctrl + I again to access the utility.

1. Use the up or down arrow key to select Create RAID Volume, and then press Enter to access the

Create Volume screen.

2. Select or enter the desired RAID Level. Use the information on the bottom half of the screen if necessary.

3. Use the arrow keys to scroll to Create Volume, and press Enter. The following screen appears.

4. Type Y to continue.

Hope this helped. please provide the product number of the computer for further assistance. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
DCAlliances Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for replying this.

If the cloned disc won't work, as per your suggestion, how do we make a full recovery disc into the new SSD then at first place?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
8121 8112 483 919
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, 

All HP computers come with a program called HP Recovery manager, using which you can create a set of recovery kit, either on a set of DVDs or a USB stick. You can use this recovery kit to install the operating system on the computer when you are facing an issue with the operating system or to install the operating system on a new hard drive. 

Hope this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Chimney_83

Let say we use HP Recovery Manager application to do a full backup (including OS and data) on USB harddrive. How do we actually recovering into a new SSD then? 

Do we need delete the current RAID configuration and redo the RAID configuration?

I'm appreciated your help.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
8121 8112 483 919
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, the recovery manager will not help you in making a backup of the data and OS. It will help you to reinstall drivers and applications that came with the computer. Allow you perform repair or reinstallation of OS. It would not help you backup both (OS and data). Once you have the new hard drive running you can setup RAID again if you want.

Hope this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That's not what we want actually.

My question will be how do I guys replace this disc then if there is an error. You have to restore the current OS and driver with HP recovery manager. Then you have to reinstall the app etc etc? It's gotta better solution on this.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
8121 8112 483 919
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

If the PC is not booting the desktop for you to create a Recovery kit and if you have not created one already, you could order the recovery kit from www.hp.com/drivers or by contacting phone support by filling the form on www.hp.com/contacthp

Hope this helps. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation