Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Envy 15-ae124tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello there,

I have Upgraded my laptop and bought and installed couple of 8 GB rams DDR3 and worked fine. And then i tried to change my hdd with a ssd after i cloned it BUT it didn't boot. And after i tried to restart it couple of times without any benefits, i changed it to the hdd again to use my laptop untill i find a solution. BUT it didn't boot.!!! It always say no hard 3f0 error. The original hdd didn't boot even it was working perfectly after cloning it for many hours. I tried everything and i made it sure that the hdd still work after i put it on encloser and put it on my work pc and it did read it. Please tell me what to do. 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@aeldesokym wrote:

....  BUT it didn't boot.!!! It always say no hard 3f0 error. The original hdd didn't boot even it was working perfectly after cloning it for many hours. ...

@aeldesokym 

99% is your fault, 3F0 error normally due to connection. Please re-seat it properly and try again. Did you earth yourself before working opening the case.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Did you think that i would open a case just for fun?! Ofcourse I tried everything you said. 99% is my fault so if you know what idid wrong just tell me. All what I did is that i bought a ssd, put it in encloser and then cloned the original hdd to it. Then i opened the laptop which is not the first time as i mentioned that Rams already replaced one day before. I took the hdd from the Sata cable and put the ssd instead and 100 times sure it's ok and both disks are working.

So tell me after watching 50 YouTube videos for how it's done, what did i made wrong?

Your answer is not an answer at all, Sir.

Thanks and waiting for someone to answer me 

HP Recommended

I can tell you with experience of having done this job over 50 times on machines way older than the one I am currently experiencing the same issue as you with that this is 99% a HP problem! What an unhelpful response from a so called 'expert'!! I have over 20 years experience as an IT technician, fully qualified software developer and run a successful IT consultancy business. My experience over this time has led to me always advising my clients never to buy HP as they are the worst put together computers by far I have ever seen, they suffer from the most unexplainable and easy to avoid issues that would put them in the class of cheapest to buy computers only that computers in that class far out perform and outlast HP products by a mile.

This job is the most straightforward you can do to upgrade your machine and one youtube video would he enough to make even the most inexperienced person be capable of doing it right. A simple browse through the first few pages of the forums here will show you many others with the same issue we are having and not one concrete solution provided by so called HP experts. The fact that these posts don't even get replies suggests to me that they are well aware of these issues but do not wish to acknowledge it. 

I will give you my thoughts on this in the faint hope of easing your frustration and in the unlikely event that someone might try to prove me wrong and actually provide a solution..

There are really only a few possible causes of these issues and all are related to poor design and implementation. I am currently dealing with 4 of these machines through various clients all with the same issue of excessive fan noise despite all the usual steps taken to solve this issue the computers remain very cool both to the touch and confirmed by using dedicated software to read internal temperatures but still the fans spin excessively resulting in a very poor experience by the users due to the excessive noise. So quite simply poor motherboards are the cause of all the weird issues that appropriate steps resolve on other manufacturers machines. I have had people return their machines for motherboard replacement by HP only for the same issues to return again within months. 

So the number one possuble cause and most likely is a faulty motherboard. It could be a variety of reasons but most likely is that it is not giving enough power to your drive to make it recognisable. This could very well be due to the very poorly designed ribbon cable which connects the drive to the motherboard which is a ludacris design fault, normally a hard drive connects directly to the motherboard itself on a laptop which lessens the possibility of connection issues. Don't know if your model uses a ribbon cable to connect the drive like my clients but if so this would be a very likely cause.

Another possible cause is that of the Bios, I have experienced SDD not being recognised before but a few simple changes made in Bios will fix them however on the model I am currently working on doesn't have these options. I did update Bios to the most recent version which gave absolutely no new features that might help this issue despite it being 8 versions later than the version installed when I got the laptop from my client.

One thing I have observed is that by pulling the battery or disconnecting it if internal and holding power for 30 secs will force a hard reset and result in the bios checking it's hardware properly which was how I eventually got it to recognise the 5th drive I tried to step back my upgrade with and reinstall windows. You will know this worked  when tou get a Bios reset message upon rebooting.

Like you the original hard drive was never again recognised after trying to reinstall it, along with 2 other HDDs and one other SSD. I can confirm that it definitely isn't the drives as all 3 HDD and 2 SSD are recognised and boot freely in other machines. My money is on the flimsy cable connection HP used to save a few cents in motherboard design but hey maybe if they didn't try to cut another corner installing bog standard 5400rpm drives we might never have felt the need to upgrade the drives..

Good luck with your issue, having years of experience dealing with rubbish Horrible Products I am not feeling confident of a resolution so am just going to hand back this piece of crap to my client and apologise that she chose the only model laptop I've ever seen that is not capable of an SSD upgrade.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for making me feel better as i thought i might been harch of the "expert" silly reply.

What made me sad is that i savedmoney for 3 years to buy it so I can work and support my family as a freelancer designer. 2 days of wait and still need a reply from them so i can get back to work. I want to know also why the old hdd didn't work? Very simple if i tried another hard and didn't work i can get back to the original hdd,  but it didn't boot. 

Thanks a lot for your time and i hope some one reply on this. My laptop is Envy 15-ae124tx. 

I hope there is a chance to open even the old hdd 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.