Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 14-ce0068st
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The specs:

-Pavilion 14-c0xxx laptop, 1TB SATA HDD, Windows 10, InsydeH2O BIOS (latest 2022 version), upgraded 16GB memory

The problem:

Powering up the laptop leads to HP Diagnostics and Recovery immediately coming up.  I haven't found the magic BIOS setting or non-destructive recovery option and I'm still clinging to the hope I don't have to do a clean OS install.

The origin story:

Foolishly(?) attempted to add an Optane memory module for a performance boost. Did all the preparation work (update BIOS, check partition types, deallocate small portion of HDD space, etc).  System running fine after all preparation work.  Next step was to install the module, then boot in to Windows for configuration and activation of the module. Installed the module, booted the computer and was immediately met with HP Autorepair / Diagnostics and Recovery.  Never even started the OS, so I never activated the module (which invokes BIOS changes to the RST mode for the accelerated HDD).  Shut down the computer and removed the Optane module, still does not boot.

What I've tried / know:

-HDD seems fine.  Used SATA->USB cable and mounted drive to other system.  File transfers work fine.

-HP diagnostics run on the HDD shows everything seems fine

-BIOS recognizes there is a drive there. I can get information about the drive in the BIOS

-In the UEFI boot order, top of the list is OS boot Manager.  Selecting that gives states "Widows Boot Manager (HGST HTS541... which is the HDD identifier)

-Reset BIOS to factory default

-Using the HDD as a USB-connected boot drive.  BIOS recognizes it and gives the HDD identifier.

What I have not tried:

-Startup repair

-Recovery manager

-System restore

-Cloning HDD to SSD (which will have a new identifier) and see if there is just some configuration associated between the BIOS and HDD that is causing the issue.  Yes, I should have just done this as the upgrade path instead of Optane.  

Any suggestions on things to try or additional information needed?  Again, I'm under the impression that nothing is physically wrong with the drive or even the OS install and I'm trying to avoid a clean install as the application configuration is a "complicated".

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.