Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp15-ba077sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)
Suddenly my laptop won't let me login as the letters on keyboard are not working, only numbers.

I cannot access the control panel to attempt to remove the keyboard driver and re Install.

I've tried rebooting with battery out etc

I've even tried a factory reset.

This laptop is 14 months old.

Please help.
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

You can use an external USB keyboard. Turn off PC by holding power button and reboot with external keyboard attached.

Do you have numlock switched on? Is login asking for pin or password?

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended
Hi

I've got a keyboard attached. Didn't solve it either. It's not numlock as that side works as do the numbers along the top. Just not letters.

My hp asks for my login when I turn on. Like usual. And this involves letters. So I can't login to my device.

Was fine yesterday. Turned it on today with these issues.
HP Recommended

So we are talking about the startup password (set in BIOS) and not the Windows login password?

What is written on the screen? Does the enter key work on the notebook? 

HP Recommended
Not sure if this will help, but the same thing just happened to me, and it was in fact a pin/password issue. It was only letting me type numbers, I restarted the computer, got an external keyboard, everything. Finally I clicked on the “sign in options” area, and it said “pin” or “Microsoft account password” (when I hovered over the pictures) I selected the “Microsoft account password” picture, and it worked perfect! Somehow, the “pin” setting must have gotten selected. Hoping this helps someone! 🙂
HP Recommended

Omg thank you so much!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.