Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cannot update UEFI firmware on HP Pavilion g6

HP Pavilion g6-2213sa
Linux

I am trying to update the UEFI firmware on this laptop as the version it came with seems to be having issues with many operating systems I try out on it. It hangs when booting with the latest version of Linux (4.8 as of writing) which means I am stuck with the LTS banch (4.4 as of writing) and it refuses to boot any other operating system I try out on it. For example, FreeBSD shows a jumbled, unreadable mess after getting past the boot screen.

So I looked up the article on the HP website about updating the BIOS and, following the video instructions, I went to the HP Support page and downloaded the BIOS installer for my laptop and placed it on an old desktop I have running Windows (Vista and XP, I tried both). I accepted the license agreement but instead of asking me where I wanted to save the installer files like it says in the video, it showed the following error messages:

Error

IHISI: Get support mode fail in SMI!
Error

BIOS did not support InsydeFlash!

I have completely removed Windows from this machine and I don't have a copy of Windows 8/8.1/10 so installing through that is out of the question. I did consider just using the BIOS compatibilty mode but I quite liked learning about the UEFI.

EDIT:

I just checked and in addition, my laptop's System Recovery option just boots to the installed OS (Arch GNU/Linux) - presumably because I removed Windows - and there's no 'firmware management' or 'BIOS management' option to be found. The only options under System Diagnostics are a memory test, a hard drive check, language settings and an exit opton.

Any help is much appreciated

Blake

5 REPLIES 5
Retired
Retired
8121 8112 483 918
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @blake_t

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Forums. 

I see you are looking to update BIOS on your computer. I will be glad to help. 

Support on HP Forums is limited to Windows. HP does not recommend you to change the configuration of your computer, you can do so are your own risk. 

The BIOS version available for your computer on our website is F.2A Rev.A. Click here

To update the BIOS on your computer, recommend you to create the BIOS update kit using USB memory stick on a computer running on Windows 8/8.1.

However, to update UEFI diagnostics, you need the computer to be running on Windows for you to be able to download and install the UEFI update. 

As you have mentioned that you do not have the recovery kit to reinstall Windows, you will need to use a retail version of Windows or contact our phone support to order the recovery kit, if available.

Let me know if this helped. 

Please click ‘Accepted Solution’ on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the ‘Thumbs Up’ Icon below.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

blake_t Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you @Chimney_83 for your assistance. I will try to use BIOS compatibility mode as I don't have any copies of Windows 8/8.1/10.

Thanks again,

Blake

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
8121 8112 483 918
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, if you need the recovery kit for your computer, you can contact our phone support for the shipping options, if available. 

Keep me posted.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
blake_t Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'll get the accepted answer sorted once I have the OS on my laptop reinstalled and I'm sure it's working. Shouldn't be long now.

Blake

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
17824 17776 1440 2465
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@blake_t

Thank you for the update,
I appreciate your time and efforts as you worked with the previous tech,

I've taken over this case now,
Take your time in reinstalling the OS and keep me posted,

As I want to ensure everything is working fine before I let you go.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with your and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation