Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
PAVILION dv7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Installed a 240 GB SSD and cloned the HDD, including the OS partition to the SSD.   Found that the BIOS does not allow selecting the SSD as the boot disk.    Have tried a couple of the recommendations I have found here to no avail.   Apparently the current version of Win10 does not allow a choice of boot locations when doing a recovery.   I used Macrium Reflect 7 to clone the disk and it appeared to complete the operation successfully.   Is there anything I should be aware of in attempting this?   What I would like to accomplish is to be able to boot and run applications from the SSD and use the 1TB HDD just for data storage.  I have noted other posts on this issue but none seem to be specific to my case.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Thortheunruly 

You have to clone more than the OS partition; you also have to clone the boot partition -- without that, the disk will not boot.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks, perhaps I wasn't clear about my clone operation.  When I said that I copied the OS partition I meant that I cloned the system partition.   I believe that that is the boot partition.    According to Macrium "With Macrium Reflect you can boot the target disk on the same system after cloning. Cloning your hard drive creates a bootable new hard drive with the state of your computer at the time you undertook the clone".   So it still appears to me that it is either the BIOS won't recognize another boot disk, or there is some hardware limitation on which disk the system will use to boot.

HP Recommended

@Thortheunruly 

Sorry ... I missed the detail that you cloned the disk.  That should have worked -- as I have used MR to do this numerous times over the years and never had an issue with it.  I've always been able to simply swap disks and have the new one boot without issues.

Since you have MR, you could try the the instructions below to create boot media from MR that can be used to rewrite/repair the boot media on your PC:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR) from this link on a working PC: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
2) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

That will create MR bootable media. Then, you can boot your PC into WinPE using that media.

Have patience, as that can take a while to start and bring up the screen.

Once the screen is there, select the option to Fix Windows boot problems. It will then search for the OSs installed and list them, Select the one you want to repair and click Next.

It will now do the repairs, listing the things it has done.

When finished, select the option to Restart the PC.

If this worked, the boot repair succeeded and you will have your PC back. 

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks again, and I hope that I understand you correctly, but I don't have a problem with this PC booting.   I just can't get it to boot from the installed SSD.   I have an SSD installed in the second drive bay and I wanted the option to just go into the BIOS and change the boot order but for some reason the BIOS doesn't give me an option to boot from another installed drive, only to boot from the main HDD or from recovery media.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.