Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

All of sudden my cursor disappeared and my touchpad will not recover it.  When I plug in a mouse the cursor appears and is operational.  I need to recover the use of my touchpad.

41 REPLIES 41
HP Recommended

Hello @ghuyge, welcome to the HP Forums.

It appears that you're having issues with the touchpad on your Chromebook. I will try to assist you with this.

To start here are some documents that may be able to help you:
Adjusting Touchpad and Keyboard Settings on Your HP Chromebook (Chrome OS)
Frequently asked questions about your HP Chromebook or Chromebox
Fix hardware and system issues

If you require further assistance, please provide the model and product numbers.
Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Unfortunately these suggested documents don't seem to address the problem, which is also affecting my HP 14" Chromebook with  maddening frequency. The best advice I've seen is to go to Advanced Settings and run Powerwash (which will delete any locally stored files). This fixed my problem for a while, but within two months the problem returned. Again, I ran Powerwash but this time the problem returned almost immediately.  

I don't know whether this problem is unique to HP devices or affects all Chromebooks.  But it makes the device nearly useless. I reboot the device at least 10-15 times per day at this point, which restores the cursor for some number of minutes or hours. Soon I will throw the Chromebook out and get a new laptop if I can't find a solution. 

I notice that the problem seems more frequent after a loss of connectivity, for what that's worth. My HP is running:

Version 39.0.2171.96 (64-bit)
Platform 6310.68.0 (Official Build) stable-channel falco
Firmware Google_Falco.4389.89.0
HP Recommended

i have the same problem.  did you get any resolution from hp?

HP Recommended

No response.  The problem persists, but I figured out that if I hold down CTRL+SHIFT+TAB to rapidly sequence between the open Chrome tabs, and simultaneously press and move across the touchpad, sometimes the mouse cursor will reappear and become responsive again.   But that's not an acceptable long-term solution.  Good luck.

HP Recommended

I am haiving same problem.  Wonder if you ever got a response from HP since last post date.

HP Recommended

No reply.

HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem- no cursor, touchpad unresponsive.

HP Recommended

Hi I found that on my chromebook that if I put something small like a  deck of cards in the bottom in the middle of the laptop and set my laptop on top of it or just holding the laptop with one hand at the middle bottom of the laptop while off the table it works just fine but when I lay it flat on the table the cursor gets stuck or disappears, for mine its something on the inside the middle than needs pushnig up, good luck.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.