cancel
sauluck Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Compaq Presario CQ60, overheating and automatically shutting down.

I purchased a Compaq cq60 210 us laptop in 2009.

Recently I found that cpu heats up and the laptop shuts  This happens When I boot in Windows XP but in Ubuntu

No such problem exists

3 REPLIES 3
Provost Provost
Provost
41,441 38,140 3,337 13,995
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you have never cleaned it I would pick up a can of compressed air and using the little straw that comes with it use it to blow out all of the vents and other openings in the case really good. I try to remember to clean mine at least twice a year. A laptop cooling pad with fan might also help. The fan is probably not spinning as fast and as efficiently as it was when new.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos
sauluck Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried all the things you suggested. also tried and external fan. in winters it ok for xp and ubuntu. in summers ubuntu is also ok. my question pertains to why xp and ubuntu are different.....in xp cpu heats up...but not in ububtu...this is for AMD cpu.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
41,441 38,140 3,337 13,995
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Possibly because XP uses more cpu power than your Ubuntu version. XP will also generate more heat if you do not have correct grapics drivers installed and working well.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation