Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario CQ61-210 SV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Product Number : CNF93167VD

Description : Compaq Presario CQ61-210SV Notebook PC

Bios Version : F08

Hi there. I want to update my BIOS version since I will change my Intel Celeron CPU 900 @ 2.20GHz with the Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T6600. 

Can you please send me the correct BIOS for the upgrade. Should I upgrade BIOS before I change the processor or after??

Also please let me know if there is any video or file with guidance step by step. Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That is correct. 

I do not recommend that you update the BIOS using a file that was written to be run on W7.

I honestly don't believe you will need a BIOS update to install the T6600 processor in your notebook.

It is not worth the risk of permanently damaging your notebook if the BIOS update fails to install properly on W10.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your notebook should support the T6600 without a BIOS update.

Here's the issue...you installed W10, and the BIOS updates were written to be run in Windows 7.

You may totally destroy the notebook if you try to update the BIOS in W10.

Here are the links to the info and exe for the last BIOS update HP released for your notebook, which was F.23.

Info:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp51501-52000/sp51527.html

Exe:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp51501-52000/sp51527.exe

The installation instructions are simple, and can be found at the bottom of the above info link...

HOW TO USE:
1. Download the file by clicking the "Download" or "Obtain Software" button and
saving the file to a folder on your hard drive (make a note of the folder where
the downloaded file is saved).

2. Double-click the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.

HP Recommended

Hello Paul. Thank you very much for your fast response. 

Are you saying that I should not proceed with the upgrade of the BIOS since I have W10?? Did I understand correctly?? 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That is correct. 

I do not recommend that you update the BIOS using a file that was written to be run on W7.

I honestly don't believe you will need a BIOS update to install the T6600 processor in your notebook.

It is not worth the risk of permanently damaging your notebook if the BIOS update fails to install properly on W10.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.