Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 15-ch011dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Spectre x360 - 15-ch011dx purchased December 2018 running the most recent version of Windows 10.  The computer has suddenly stopped working.  In the middle of moving some files around, it suddenly shut down as if it lost power.  After repeated attempts to reboot, I was able to get it to start and ran HP diagnostics.  All systems (battery, charger, cpu stress test, storage, etc) all checked out ok.  Then it died again.  Battery is fully changed.  The problem happens whether the charger is plugged in or not.  When I try to restart, the light on the power button comes on and sometimes I hear the cooling fan start, but then it shuts down without anything coming up on the screen.  It’s almost as if it has overheated and shut down.  If I let it sit for an hour and then try to restart, sometimes it will boot up but only for a couple of minutes before suddenly shutting off.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I might add that I went through all of the steps suggested by the HP automated chatbot assistant without fixing the problem.  In the end the online system told me talk to a service representative and took me to a page where I could check my warranty status or post to the community or search for a service center 100 miles from my house none of which had the name HP associated with them.

HP Recommended

@115-Kevin_

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

Did you run the Extensive Test? The Extensive Test might take few hours but it will confirm the Hardware Functionality

If the System does not shut down during the Extensive Test and if the Test reports no errors, then it will be an issue with the OS and you can perform a Reset. 

Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289

If the System shuts down during the Test, then the Notebook needs to be serviced

- Shut down the Notebook completely
- Turn it back on, then tap the Esc key repeatedly until the Startup menu screen is displayed.
- Press F2 to select System Diagnostics.
- Click System Tests, then click Extensive Test.

Keep me posted

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you Krazy Toad.  I tried running the extensive diagnostics test but I only got to the beginning of the diagnostic menu before it powered down.  I’ve got an appointment to have it checked out at Best Buy computer service.  I contacted the nearest HP service center at Office Depot in Los Gatos, but it’s 80 mi away and they won’t accept computers shipped to them.  I have to bring it in in person.  Thanks for your suggestions.  I’m very disappointed in this HP product to have crapped out after only 18 months of very light use.

HP Recommended

@115-Kevin_

Thank you for posting back. 

I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options in order to diagnose the computer physically. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/​​​​​​​

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you Echo_Lake

My laptop is already at Best Buy for a diagnosis. I had tried to contact hpsupport but could not find a way to talk to a live person.  The only option was to use the chat dialog box. I didn’t want to get into a frustrating conversation with an automated chat box that didn’t seem to understand my questions.  I’ve gone down that road before.  If the diagnosis does come back to be a failed motherboard (which I suspect it will be based on all the reports on the web about burned out motherboards on this model), then I will make another attempt to contact hpsupport in person.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.