Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 10 (462 Views)

DV8T-1200 gets Display Adapter errors/freezes

For the past few months, I've been struggling to figure out what is causing my display driver to stop working and freeze up my laptop.  I've tried updating all of my drivers, resetting to previous configurations, updated my BIOS.  Nothing seems to be working.

I have noticed that my notebook runs extremely hot.  Is it possible that it's overheating and causing the graphics card itself to fail?

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 10 (457 Views)

Re: DV8T-1200 gets Display Adapter errors/freezes

Hi,

Shutdown the notebook.  Start tapping away at f10 as soon as you press the power button to enter the bios menu.  Under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run tests on the Hard Drive and Memory.  Run both tests and post back with the results.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

Top Student
Message 3 of 10 (429 Views)

I've run both the memory check and the hard disk check and the laptop passed them.

Provost
Message 4 of 10 (428 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

First of all, follow the guide on the link below to ensure the ventillation slots are clear.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01657439

Then, from the Start Menu, open All Programs, open Accessories, right click the Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.  In to the prompt type the following command and hit enter.

sfc /scannow                 ( note that there is a space between sfc and the / )

Let the process complete, then type exit and hit enter.

Next, click the Start Menu, click Computer, left click Local Disc C once to highlight it, right click Local Disc C and select Properties.  Click the Tools tab and then click the button to 'Check the Drive for Errors'.  In the following window make sure both boxes are ticked and then click Start.  Part of this process will require a restart to check the drive.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Top Student
Message 5 of 10 (415 Views)

Ran both of those came back fine.

Provost
Message 6 of 10 (409 Views)

Hi,

Has there been any improvement after cleaning the air vents?

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Top Student
Message 7 of 10 (402 Views)

No, I still get freezes where I have to hold the power down to shut down then restart.  According to my windows action center my graphics driver stops working.  Prior to some time in January, I would often get a message in my task bar saying that my graphics driver stopped working, but has been recovered and my system wouldn't freeze up.   I've tried updating every driver I can think of.  I've updated the system bios.  I've tried restoring to points before it went from the message w/ no freeze to freezing.  Nothing has worked so far to stop it.  

Provost
Message 8 of 10 (401 Views)

Hi,

Try downloading the original Nvidia driver installer for your notebook on the link below and save it to your Desktop.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp45001-45500/sp45017.exe

When the download has completed, right click the installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation - ignore any warnings that you already have a later version installed and proceed with this installation.  When complete, restart the notebook and see if there is any improvement.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Top Student
Message 9 of 10 (354 Views)

Ok, I tried what you suggested, and made sure I had completely uninstalled the current driver prior to installing and it seemed to work ok for a time, but then the hangs started again.

Honor Student
Message 10 of 10 (301 Views)

Hi,

What the Admin for HP didnt tell you, that the NVIDA chip on the motherboard tends to overheat. No matter what you do, clean the fan, heat sink, or update the bios. It is not going to fix the problem. I have seen many of the DV8's come my way with this problem. On alot of forums I see this problem. 

IT IS A DESIGN FLAW.  BUT HP WONT SAY THAT.

rob

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation