cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Kristof3
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Dead 4 year old Pavillion laptop, no lights, battery issue?

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 15t-bc200 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

So I have no power, no light, no noise, nothing. Tried a different AC Adapter, nothing. I ordered a replacement (non OEM) battery and will try replacement to see if that fixes the issue. Are there any other things I should look for as possible causes? This laptop is just over 4 years old. I did not expect it to just die. It was plugged in, just sitting on my table in sleep mode overnight and the following day it just wouldn't turn on. 

Does anyone know what the average life of a consumer HP laptop is? Am I at the end? (My girlfriend is still using a perfectly acceptable 9 year old Macbook...) Starting to think HP products are not the best choice. Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
34,852 24,531 3,148 7,861
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Kristof3 

There is no "average life" of a laptop -- as it varies enormously by individual device.  I have a 10-year old HP laptop that I have used every day for the last 10 years and it is still working just fine.  So, this is not a general symptom of HP laptops.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Kristof3
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So a local repair technician found shorts on the motherboard and it isn't repairable. Leading up to the malfunction, I kept receiving notices from HP on my laptop via popups (had access into my system!!) that the laptop would no longer be supported and directing me to buy a new laptop. Then BAM the laptop is fried. HP intentionally bricked my laptop to try and force me to purchase a new device. Well I'm not going to buy from HP and I will report this to CFPB. Disgusting stuff, folks. Looks like I'm back to Dell. Not the sexiest laptops but at least they aren't designed to die on you a few years in. I've had many of those laptops for many years and only upgraded when they became obsolete. 

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation