Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook 820 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello! I'm having more problems with this elitebook 820 g3. I got a new motherboard and installed it, because the previous one refused to boot. The new one won't boot either, but at least it gives me something to work with.

When I power on i receive two different beep codes. First I get two long beeps and two short beeps. Then all following codes are three long beeps and two short ones.

Apparently the first one means a bios error and the second one is ram error. I tried using a different slot for my ram with no results. I also tried making a bootable usb drive with the newest bios in it and booting with the key combinations but it also didn't work. I'm not sure I did it right though.

What can I do next? Can soneone help with making a bios recovery usb? The instructions on hp's site dont work for me. Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07107

Hopefully one of these documents will cover (and solve) your problem...
https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c00042629
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

Turn off the computer, and then connect the power cord.
Press and hold the Windows key and the B key at the same time, and then press and hold the power button for 2 to 3 seconds.
Release the Power button but continue pressing the Windows and B keys. You might hear a series of beeps.
The HP BIOS Update screen displays and the recovery begins automatically. Follow any on-screen prompts to continue the startup to complete the recovery.
HP BIOS Update recovery in progress

If the HP BIOS Update screen does not display, repeat the previous steps but press the Windows key and the V key. If the screen still does not display, your computer might not support the feature or there is a hard drive issue. Continue to the next step to install a BIOS recovery file from the HP website.
If the Power light turns off, the Power button was held too long. Repeat the previous steps, making sure to hold the button for only 2 to 3 seconds.

BIOS

The main area (DXE) of BIOS has become corrupted and there is no recovery binary image available.

Also happens when updating BIOS.

Typically no steps needed.

1. Allow the system to complete its updates and changes.

2. If updates are stalling, attempt Sure Start Recovery.

Hardware

The embedded controller has timed out waiting for BIOS to return from memory initialization.

Indicates potential memory failure.

1 Reseat memory.

2 Correct memory configuration.

3 Test with known good memory.

4 Replace affected component.

Can you give the year for the Main Board and which table you are referring to.

HP Recommended

Hi

Can you give the board SSID as it is vital to match the BIOS to.

SSID WiFi Born On.png

HP Recommended

I'm sorry, but nothing happens when I hold or press the esc key or f1 key.

I tried finding the id or year on the physical board but couldn't find it.

HP Recommended

I found the meaning of the beeps on the first link you kindly provided. Following the instructions to create a recovery flash drive I get to the point where I accept the agreement and click next. Then I choose a directory. I chose my usb drive. A prompt came up saying "there is a problem with the bios or it is not available. Your computer will not be updated." (loosely translated). The the window with the option "create recovery usb drive" should be, but it is greyed out. Only the "copy the files on this computer" option is available. When trying that it gives another error and nothing happens.

Thank you for reading!

HP Recommended

Hi

OK I cannot directly replicate your situation.

Wot I do is

Downloaded SP95977.exe and used 7zip to extract the 5 files inside.

23/01/2019 11:52 4,800,000 HPBIOSUPDREC.exe
23/01/2019 11:52 6,692,864 HPBIOSUPDREC64.exe
23/01/2019 11:52 2,287,104 HpqPswd.exe
23/01/2019 11:52 3,128,832 HpqPswd64.exe
16/04/2019 23:52 9,437,184 N75_0139.bin
16/09/2019 22:37 13,034,352 sp95977.exe

Now I can copy them to whatever media I want. Even add them to a Bootable DVD/USB.

But I cannot specifically write you a method as I don't have your circumstances.

If in doubt please ask.

HP Recommended

Thank you, I was able to get all those files on the drive. Nothing still happens whether I tap the esc key or f1 key or hold win+b or win+v on boot. I only get the same beep codes over and over.

HP Recommended

Err   You copy those files to a bootable media.  Like a USB.

Then try ESC and F9 to boot from that media (DVD/USB) run the executable file to hopefully install the BIOS.

Or something similar.

HP Recommended

Thank you. Should I tap or hold these keys? Should they be pressed together or should I try each one separatetly? I believe my screen lights up but it is only showing a black image. Whatever I have done to this point it always only keeps beeping.

HP Recommended

NO.

You follow the instructions, and when there is a problem with the instructions you ask again.

So did you copy the files to a USB or DVD that was bootable?

Then did you boot from that media.  

Power on press ESCAPE immediately, several times.

If that fails then I think you have an expensive paperweight.

This will not work for everyone, but you may be lucky?

HP Notebooks and Mobile Workstations -
No Power, No Boot, No Display When Power Button Is Pressed

NOTE: Be sure the battery is installed in the computer and it has sufficient power before continuing. Due to the design of the Embedded Controller/Keyboard Controller, the power supply must be disconnected and the computer must be powered with battery power to reset the Embedded Controller/Keyboard Controller.

Unplug the AC power from the computer.
Press and hold the power button for more than 12 seconds.
Release the power button (after at least 12 seconds).
The computer will power on and should boot normally after releasing the power button.
Re-connect the AC power to the computer.

NOTE: In case the battery is not charging after performing the steps to reset the Embedded Controller, unplug and re-plug in the AC power again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.