bobb7912
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Difficulties flashing a new BIOS onto laptop

Elitebook 8740w
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
My current problem stems from my efforts to reflash a new BIOS onto my HP EliteBook 8740w mobile workstation.

The official HP support page on modifying a laptop's BIOS only has the terms "recover your BIOS" and "update." First, I would  like to ask if in the first place if these terms constitute a writing of a fresh new copy of the BIOS software onto the motherboard.

Either way, following these instructions, to boot into BIOS recovery mode one has to press the Windows + B (or V)  keys before startup. However, when I tried both combinations, the utility does not launch, even after waiting at a black screen for over 90 seconds. I tried another approach, booting the USB with the BIOS recovery image obtained from my laptop's applicable driver page directly from the startup media menu. However, when selecting the "update" option in the BIOS recovery software prompts one to enter a password. I have no idea what this passwords is - I assume this is the BIOS administrator password, which I also don't know. First, are these two passwords the same, or is there a separate password for the BIOS update utility? I read the driver documentation searching for one, to no avail. Secondly, I have sought ways if I can reset my BIOS administrator password, including entering it three times to receive a code as has been suggested on other HP support forum threads. Instead, the meny simply goes to an "authentication failed" screen without giving me a code. I have also tried removing the CMOS battery for 90 seconds, also to no avail. Is there any way to reset this password? How can I solve these two issues?

I would also like to note I posted a similar version of this thread on the HP support forums but it was taken down by a moderator for violating rule 4d. "No posts shall include instructions or directions intended to bypass or subvert security measures, including passwords, locking mechanisms, fingerprint scans, etc., or to bypass any safety measures." I was subsequently directed to contact HP support for my product. However, after entering my product serial number on the HP Contact Support page, my laptop was marked as out of warranty and support contact information was not given. This is why I am posting this request for a second time in an attempt to receive HP support. I still have a perfectly functionable laptop which I would like to continue using.

Here are my applicable details:

Product No. SK111UP#ABA

BIOS Rev. 68CAD Ver. F.08

Thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation