Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook 8740w
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am trying to reflash the BIOS on my laptop, however, when I try to boot into BIOS recovery mode by pressing Windows Key + B (or V) before startup, the utility does not launch, even after waiting at a black screen for over 90 seconds. Likewise, when I boot the USB with the recovery image directly from the BIOs menu, when I try to update the BIOS from the software on the USB, it asks for a password which I don't know. I assume this is the BIOS administrator password, which I also don't know. Is there any way to reset this password? I have tried entering it three times to receive a code, but instead, it simply goes to an "authentication failed" screen without giving me a code. I have also tried removing the CMOS battery for 90 seconds, also to no avail. Is there any way to reset this password? How can I solve these two issues?

Product No. SK111UP#ABA

Serial No.[edit]

BIOS Rev. 68CAD Ver. F.08

Thank you

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@bobb7912

According to the Community's Rules of Participation:

4d. No posts shall include instructions or directions intended to bypass or subvert security measures, including passwords, locking mechanisms, fingerprint scans, etc., or to bypass any safety measures.

Therefore, this topic is being locked. If you would like help resetting the password on your product, please Contact HP support in your region. 

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.