Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv4-2161nr
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I am trying to install a clean Windows 7 using a bootable Win7 Setup USB stick using Rufus.

Howver the laptop does not let me boot from a USB nbecause UEFI is enabled.

I went the to BIOS, Boot options, and nowhere theres Legacy Support option nor UEFI option to disable.

This is with the BIOS firmware F.0F which was the latest firmware released for this laptop.

I’ve looked and searched every corner of the BIOS menu but I cant find the familiar option to turn UEFI off (ive done this hundreds of times so I know what I am supposed to look for)

Can anyone help out? Is there a newer bios firmware than F.0F that adds the UEFI option in the menu?

Or am i supposed to look elsewhere than the BIOS? (I hardly think this makes sense but who knows)

56958DF3-B866-48C9-A189-65300BBB0C2C.jpegB868C980-F0F2-470B-A10E-44AC53277B85.jpeg1F389E61-D318-4C7A-8CDD-3D7DB81E6408.jpeg

Thanks in Advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I found the solution at the Rufus Bootable USB message after CMOS. I had to remake the bootable USB using Parition as MBR and Target as BIOS.

I already had created the USB with UEFI supported mode previously before I posted the question, but had the partition on GPT mode. That was the problem.

Now the USB Stick boots up normally under UEFI mode.

Installing the OS now.

I know Its such an old laptop so the UEFI option is missing,  but still, wish there was.

Thanks guys.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Sephylix 

RUFUS provides you different options for creating boot media -- one of them being UEFI boot.  Have you tried that to see if that makes a difference?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi, @Sephylix 

The product specs for your notebook indicate that it has a DVD drive.

HP Pavilion Data Sheet (images-amazon.com)

Using another Windows PC, you can make a bootable DVD by running the Microsoft tool that I zipped up and attached below, that you would need to transfer the W7 ISO file to a DVD so that it is bootable.

Your screenshot shows the DVD drive is ready for action as a bootable device.

HP Recommended

I found the solution at the Rufus Bootable USB message after CMOS. I had to remake the bootable USB using Parition as MBR and Target as BIOS.

I already had created the USB with UEFI supported mode previously before I posted the question, but had the partition on GPT mode. That was the problem.

Now the USB Stick boots up normally under UEFI mode.

Installing the OS now.

I know Its such an old laptop so the UEFI option is missing,  but still, wish there was.

Thanks guys.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad you were able to boot from the USB flash drive and install W7.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.