Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
lcd42 Tutor
Tutor
12 1 1
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Disk Read Error on boot, Hard Drive Short DST Check fails

HP Pavilion 15t-n200
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a two year old HP Pavillion (now a year out of waranty) that crashed and now returns "disk read error press ctl+alt+del to restart" when attempting to boot.

Using the diagnostic tools avialable under F2, I get the following failure:

Hard Drive Short DST Check: Failed

Failure ID: GLL3S1-76684P-MFPV7G-60RA03

Product ID: E9Z18AV

Would anyone be so kind as to tell me what this particular failure ID code means?  Thank you.

6 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
43860 3255 13558
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The hard drive has failed and will need to be replaced.  A retail laptop SATA hard drive can be used-Western Digital, Seagate, Toshiba,etc. Just be sure to get one of at least equal capacity as the original in order to use Recovery Media to install Windows. It can be larger, but not smaller capacity.For instance if you have a 500GB hdd you could use a 750GB hdd but not a 320GB hdd.

Your model is not one of the easiest to replace hdd on but the Maintenance & Service Guide will help you or your chosen repair shop.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04438537

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos
lcd42 Tutor
Tutor
12 1 1
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the prompt reply, even if the diagnosis is more dire than I might have hoped.

Do you know what my prospects for recovering data from the failed drive are?

Provost Provost
Provost
43860 3255 13558
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The prospects for recovering data aren't the best either I'm afraid. The best hope will be removing the hdd.Install it in a USB HDD Enclosure, plug into a working machine via usb port to see if files can be read and copied over to hdd of host machine.

Example:http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3195233&csid=_21

0 Kudos
lcd42 Tutor
Tutor
12 1 1
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you again for linking the service guide- I think that's the least trouble I've ever had taking a laptop apart.  I was able to browse the directory and view files when I plugged the drive into another machine via usb, so I'm hopeful I'll be able to recover most of the data that matters to me (I won't know for sure until I start methodically going through for all of it, of course).

Off to go find a new hard drive and start reinstalling / migrating everything.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
43860 3255 13558
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome. Good luck with recovering your files-and with replacing the hdd.

0 Kudos
lcd42 Tutor
Tutor
12 1 1
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Update:

A new hard drive has been installed.  A clean windows 7 install has been performed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178340

That's the good news.  The bad news is I'm almost entirely without hardware drivers, and have so far been largely frustrated in obtaining them.

I've went through and grabbed everything downloadable from

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-15-n200-Notebook-PC-series/6529948/model...

but precious little of it actually worked.  Most of the drivers returded messages that they failed to install properly, and have led me to wonder if those are actually all the correct drivers being offered.

I'm considering ordering the system recovery kit.  That should allow me to do a factory intall, restore everything to the way it was out of the box, right?

Also, windows update has been quietly spinning away in the corner, checking for updates, for  very long time.  I'm not sure if this is simply due to the years worth of updates it needs to look up and populate the list with, or if mircosoft has stopped supporting that utility for windows 7?

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation