Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
1515-ec1073dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So basically, one day my laptop was working fine with no issues. The next day, when I boot up my laptop, it takes longer than usual and then pops up "scanning and repairing disk C:" I didn't do anything the day before and it works fine if I just let it load, but this is worrying me because I'm not sure if this part of something more serious or not. When I go into control panel, and go to maintenance, it shows that there is a disc error and I need to restart to fix  it, however, when i restart it, it doesnt fix the error. It doesnt show any percentages or long error code, it just pops up the message and then boots normally. It's annoying and worrying to me, does anyone know how to fix this?

I have a 250gb nvme and a recently installed and configured 1tb samsung ssd.

Nvme is set as drive 1 and the main is set onto it

Ssd is for games and other files

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Void_1 

Contrary to what folks think, software can not actually "repair" a drive.  Every drive comes with spare sectors that are not in use.  When an app says it is repairing, all it actually is doing is scanning the sectors and for those found to be faulty, copying their contents over to the spare sectors.  That's no more repairing the drive than replacing a flat tire with the spare tire.  The original one is till bad and not actually repaired.

The popular view is that SSDs, since they contain no moving parts, can not fail -- but I've had several fail on me over time.

So, if yours is failing, like any hard drive, it would need to be replaced.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.