Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 14t-1000 CTO Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Does this model (from around 2010) have UEFI firmware? I don't see any indication that it does, with Windows reporting that the "BIOS Mode" is "Legacy." I don't see any legacy BIOS emulation switches in the BIOS setup either.

But out of paranoia, could it be the case that it does have UEFI firmware, but I've caused it to be permanently in legacy emulation mode or something?

Confusingly, the support website offers an enigmatically named "HP BIOS Update UEFI." Could it be that some update (which I haven't been able to install) changes it from one thing to another?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That was an interesting experience.

It was able to boot the "HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI)," how about that?

Thus, the answer is that it can boot EFI binaries, but there must be some other reason that my operating system isn't booting that way.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @Guest3

Thank you for joining the HP Forums! 

I noticed your post on how you are wondering if your HP ENVY 14t-1000 CTO (2010) have UEFI firmware? I am happy to look into this for you! 

According to the Software and Drivers website, it appears there are only drivers for Windows 7. None are showing for UEFI firmware. However, you can try the steps in this guide, Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 😎

Please remember to return to this thread and mark 'Accept as Solution', if I have successfully helped you resolve the issue. If you wish to say 'thanks' for my effort to help, click the 'thumbs up' to give me a Kudos.

Hope this helps! 🙂

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended
> None are showing for UEFI firmware.

What about that one in the BIOS-Tools category?
HP Recommended

Hi Guest3, 

Thank you for pointing that out. Not sure how I missed that. 

In the meantime, I would continue to try the steps in this guide, Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 😎

If you are able to reach some resolution, please click on Accept Solution. If you appreciate my help, please click on the thumbs up icon. Both icons are below this post.

Let me know what happens! 🙂

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HP Recommended

That was an interesting experience.

It was able to boot the "HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI)," how about that?

Thus, the answer is that it can boot EFI binaries, but there must be some other reason that my operating system isn't booting that way.

HP Recommended

Hi Guest3, 

That is interesting! 

During the boot up process, are you seeing any error messages? Black screen? Blue screen? 

If you appreciate my help, please click on the thumbs up icon. Both icons are below this post.

Let me know! 🙂

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.