Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone!

I tried to dualboot Kali Linux with Windows 10 and unfortunately i found out, that my net card is not working at all (nor bluetooth, nor WLAN).

At start, I thouth that the problem is in drivers, or something, so in Kali I tried to install drivers to my net card. But it didn't solve my problem.

Then, I tried to install other OS (Kubuntu), and i cought the same issue - net card is not working.

Secure boot is Disabled (what is interesting)

Problem is not in OS', as you see.

I have a hope, you will help me to set up my secondary OS,with working net card.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Diin97 

Sorry, but NO.

We here are not equipped to provide detailed Linux support.

HP only warranties their PCs for usage with the OS that comes preinstalled. IF you replace that with Linux, or add a Linux OS, then you assume full responsibility for maintaining that -- as HP provides Linux assistance only on Redhat and then only to commercial customers.

The primary "challenge" to using Linux on any HP PC is the availability of Linux drivers. Any hardware that does not work will then range from simple (if there are Linux drivers available) to impossible (if there are NO Linux drivers available) to fix.

Since HP does not provide Linux drivers, your best bet for Linux support is to contact the support forum for the Linux distro you are using.

Folks on Linux support forums have experience using a variety of machines with Linux and know a lot about driver and installation issues. You will be able to get sound and detailed help there.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi

To supplement WAWood's excellent answer...

Giving details of make and model, names of adapters etc is the bare minimum to offer any real help.

So I suggest gathering the details and trying Ubuntu forums et al.

Credit to Bapoumba, Ubuntu Forums
When troubleshooting wireless, it's important that your system is fully updated by opening a terminal, CTRL+ALT+T. Using a wired internet connection, please run:
Code:

sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade

and reboot if necessary.

If the issues persist, it is recommended that you install pastebinit, by running:
Code:

sudo apt install pastebinit

This will enable the wireless script to, upon your approval, upload the obtained data to pastebin, creating at the same time a link to it in your terminal, permitting you to paste it to a forum thread.

Once that's done, download and run the wireless info script, which will gather information to help diagnose your system. You can run it using this command:
Code:

wget -N -t 5 -T 10 https://github.com/UbuntuForums/wireless-info/raw/master/wireless-info && \
chmod +x wireless-info && \
./wireless-info

It will create the file "wireless-info.txt" at the location it is run from, and depending on its size, an additional archive called "wireless-info.tar.gz". If you prefer, you can post the file directly to pastebin yourself. Sensitive information like MAC addresses and WPA/WEP keys are masked automatically.

If you aren't able to connect to the internet with the affected system, including via a wired connection, just navigate to
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2082305&p=12350385&viewfull=1#post12350385 using another device and follow the instructions there on how to the run wireless script without an internet connection.

HP Recommended

You see, the problem is not in drivers, or Linux at all, because even after proper installing them net card didn't work

HP Recommended

Hi

If you are correct...

"You see, the problem is not in drivers, or Linux at all, because even after proper installing them net card didn't work"

then the net card has failed and needs replacing.

But without make and model etc.

BYE.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.