Mudd3814 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dv6 black screen and flashing caps lock. Help please!!!

HP Envy Dv6 7229wm
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have a HP Envy Dv6. It was having problems overheating so i opened it up to clean the fan and air intake. I put it all back together and now I have a black screen. I can hear the hard drive spin but the fan only comes on sometimes. If i blow in the intake when the fans not running it starts to spin. The caps lock led is flashing constanly at a rate of 1 second, no pause, just 1 second intervals. Did i kill the fan or is the flashing telling something else. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Retired
Retired
3798 3736 201 433
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Mudd3814,

Thanks for becoming a member of the HP Support Forums. I understand you are having an issue with a black screen after trying to clean the fan. I will be glad to help you.

Please check that all the cables are still connected correctly. reference  Maintenance and Service Guide.

There has been a battery recall on some of this model. Please click on the link to  check if your computer is one.

Here is a document for Reducing Heat Inside the Laptop to Prevent Overheating, some of the step you have already done.

Please keep me informed of how things went. 

If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".
To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! :)

Thanks.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Mudd3814 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your response.

I have checked and rechecked all cables and anything else that could have come undone. Still not booting up. Do u have any idea what the caps lock led blinking means? Its blinking at a rate of one blink per second.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
3798 3736 201 433
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Mudd3814,

Please look at the documents for Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code.

1 flash is CPU not functional.

Please use the following http://www.hp.com/contacthp and create a case for your issue and contact HP. If you live outside the US/Canada, please click the link below to get the contact information for your region.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation