Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I started up my computer it sounds like its starting up right, but the screen does not turn on, all the lights on the touch pad(the wireless light and such) all turn on. After a min or so the caps lock and the number lock just keep blinking and nothing else happens. This started happening 10 days AFTER my warranty expired.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Try doing a hard reset..

Unplug ac, battery. ext accesories. Press and hold down the power button for 30 secs. Replace everything then turn it on..

Try hooking an external monitor:

If same hlack screen comes up, might be the video card..
If a picture comes up, its the lcd screen/ backlight/inverter of the laptop..

Can we also get the pattern of the light on the caps lock?
Number of blinks / sec..

HP Recommended

I have tried the hard reset and the monitor. The pattern of lights is 4 blinks/sec. 

HP Recommended

Gpu failure..

Check out the link here

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443366

HP Recommended

OK, so what now? Is it integrated or can I replace the GPU without replacing the motherboard?

HP Recommended

Its the video card of the laptop. Is it still under warranty? Gpus are embedded on the system board and so the whole board needs to be replaced.  Take it to a local shop and see if they can resolder the gpu..

HP Recommended

Do u know why this happens? I suspect a self destruct code once warranty has passed lol. This may be what's going on with mine

HP Recommended

This is what worked for me...

I had the exact same problem. First time it happended I did a hard reset. Left the computer unplugged for a week, and when I turned it back on it worked fine.... for a couple months. Now just recently it did the same thing.... EXACTLY what you are describing... I tred the same thing... Hard reset and leaving unplugged for a week... when I turned it back on nothing. it did the same thing... I removed 1 of the 2 memory chips from the motherboard...  restarted and boom it works fine... to test it i reinserted the memory chip back into its slot.. restarted and it did the same thing.. no screen, a few boot up noises and the cap locks code... I have since removed the "bad memory chip" and it seems to be working fine....

So for me it was a bad memory chip... 

So i recomend first doing a hard reset... and also un plug and plug in the cmos/bios battery then

Try removing one of the chips and start it up... if you get the same error then Reinsert that chip and remove the other and try starting... hopefully that fixes your problem...

HP Recommended

All my lights light up, the fan kicks on, but there is no display. then after a few minutes it shuts off. then you have to unplug it and plug it back in for it to even do that again. I have tried hooking up an external monitor, that doesnt work either. not to mention it wouldn't help the problem anyways because the computer does not stay running. this is a dv7-1468nr. how do i properly do a hard reset, i have tried removing the power cord and the battery and holding the power button for 10 seconds, but this doesnt work either. I read one post where somebody removed a memory chip and that was the problem, is this difficult to remove. I'd like to try some easy alternatives before i just get another motherboard. Any suggestions and can ya walk me through it?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.