Did you mean: 
6 3 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post
HP Recommended

EliteBook 8770w - Set custom boot path for mSATA SSD

EliteBook 8770w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently installed a new Samsung 860 EVO mSATA SSD. I'm using it for Windows and programs only. I also have a pair of 2 TB HDDs in RAID 1, which I use to store files.

My problem is that it doesn't boot from the SSD automatically, because the mSATA slot isn't available as a boot option. However, I am able to boot by using Esc > F9 (Boot Device Options) > Boot from EFI File > [Filesystem name]\EFI\Boot\bootx64.efi, which I have to select on every startup.

I've noticed that there is a "Custom Boot Option" in the BIOS, where you can set a file path. However, when I tried using "\EFI\Boot\bootx64.efi", it still didn't boot. I assume this is because the filesystem isn't specified (and it defaults to HDD). I've tried looking it up on the web, but I didn't find any information on how to specify the filesystem (every website said it should be filled in automatically).

It's not an urgent issue (+ It's a nice security feature: Nobody else knows how to boot this thing), but it would still be nice if I could fix it. Maybe I should update the BIOS?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation