Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 840 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have here a HP EliteBook 840 G6 (which does not belong to me) that only shows a black screen and the fan runs clearly audible.

It has begun with Windows saying after booting that the computer must be restarted (because of HP system update)... After the restart, there was also a short message that the system would be updated. This message quickly disappeared again and the Windows message (System must be restarted) came again. Also in the device manager was a note about the HP system update R70 (with yellow exclamation mark). I then tried to download this BIOS version and install it manually. Then came the feedback that the system administrator had locked the BIOS version.
However, the check mark was not set in the BIOS. I set it, restarted the laptop, removed the check mark and restarted the laptop again. At the same time I activated the function that the BIOS should be updated via hp.com (before Windows boot). Then the BIOS update started very promising, but finally came this black screen (I have left the device for about half an hour) and now nothing works.

In the internet I found the advice to press Windows key and "B" together with the start button of the laptop. One HP video said to keep holiding Windows key and "B" for around 30s to 60s and another HP video said to release all buttons after one second...

Should I leave the laptop switched on "overnight", maybe "something is still happening"?

Best regards,

Schlumpf

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello @Schlumpf 

Sorry to hear that you are having problems ... I would like to help you.

(1) Power off notebook

(2Disconnect charger

(3Press and hold <power> button for 30 seconds

(4Connect charger

(5) Use (another Windows 10/11 computer) to create <USB flash drive>

HP BIOS and System Firmware (R70)

01.21.10 Rev.A16.2 MBSep 29, 2022Download

Use a FAT32-formatted small <USB flash drive> (Type USB 2.0)

Follow --->>> BIOS Recovery Reinstall with USB

(6) Repeat reflash procedures:

• windows + b <USB flash drive> not connected
  • windows + v <USB flash drive> not connected
  • windows + b <USB flash drive> connected
  • windows + v <USB flash drive> connected 

Keep me updated

Kind regards

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for the response!

Unfortunately it did not work so far.

The Caps Lock light of the laptop flashes (5 times) as in the video mentioned.

Together with the Caps Lock light, the Num lock (F10) light blinks simultaneously.

I have tried it with two different USB 2.0 flash drives. One with a 500MB size and the other with 8GB.

Both are FAT32 formatted. I tried it with two different USB ports.

The 8GB drive has a activity ligth, which shines red (in the left USB port) when the laptop is switched off.

When I switch on the laptop this light goes off.

Do I have to repeat steps 1 to 4 with each variant (step 6)?

Best regards,

Schlumpf

PS: The SP142782 BIOS file extracts to four EXE-files, one is called HpFirmwareUpdRec.exe and another HpFirmwareUpdRec64.exe. - Which one is used in the automatic process? I would guess the "64-version", isn't it?

HP Recommended

@Schlumpf wrote:

Hi,

Thank you for the response!

Unfortunately it did not work so far.

Do I have to repeat steps 1 to 4 with each variant (step 6)?

PS: The SP142782 BIOS file extracts to four EXE-files, one is called HpFirmwareUpdRec.exe and another HpFirmwareUpdRec64.exe. - Which one is used in the automatic process? I would guess the "64-version", isn't it?

Hello @Schlumpf 

The recovery is an "attempt". There is no guarantee that it will work. It is useful to perform all the steps as there are different behaviors depending on the model. The "64-version" is used.

Kind regards

HP Recommended

Would it be possible to find a documentation about the required key combination etc. for an HP EliteBook 840 G6?

If I were sure that, for example, Windows key and "B" -together with an USB flash drive - is required, it would reduce the complexity a bit.

HP Recommended

Hello @Schlumpf 

Follow the official documentation:

HP Notebook PCs - Recovering the BIOS (Basic Input Output System)

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-elitebook-840-g6-notebook-pc/26609796/document/ish_3932413-2...

Kind regards

HP Recommended

Hi Ub6424,

Here I found a table indicating what the number of Blinks could mean.

According to this table five times blinking indicates that the "System board" is affected (General system board failure).

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/HP-Laptop-Error-Blink-Codes/m-p/6142972

Well, this information is around 5 to 6 years old...

Best regards,

Schlumpf

HP Recommended

Hello @Schlumpf 

I am sorry, but my options to help you are exhausted.

Recommendation and possible solution

The BIOS can be reflashed with a "programmer" by a professional computer (chip level) repair store. But there is no guarantee that the computer will continue to work 100% after that.

Give it a try ...

Kind regards

HP Recommended

Hi Ub6424,

Thank you very much for your kind support, which has definitely brought me further.
I am a bit shocked that something like this can happen to a three to four year old notebook (an Elitebook of all things). O.k., I don't know what the users do with their devices, nevertheless the device ran in principle before my attempt to update the BIOS.
Five flashes of the Caps Lock button may indicate a "General system board failure", as mentioned above.
Too bad that there is no better documentation available from HP.

Best regards

HP Recommended

@Schlumpf wrote:

Hi Ub6424,

Thank you very much for your kind support, which has definitely brought me further.
I am a bit shocked that something like this can happen to a three to four year old notebook (an Elitebook of all things). O.k., I don't know what the users do with their devices, nevertheless the device ran in principle before my attempt to update the BIOS.
Five flashes of the Caps Lock button may indicate a "General system board failure", as mentioned above.
Too bad that there is no better documentation available from HP.

Best regards

Hello @Schlumpf 

It was a great pleasure to help you 

Kind regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.