Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840

Please help!  I got a factory refurbished Elitebook 840 at the end of December (so I've only used it about 6 weeks).  It was working great, but then started losing battery quickly.  Then suddenly it won't turn on.

Per directions found here I tried discharging the battery, but when I reconnected it and pushed the power button the power button and caps lock keys started flashing white.  On the front of the computer the charge light is flashing orange and the power light white.

I don't want to do a reset since I can't lose all of my information.  Any help, please?  Thank you!!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi

https://hpipg.wordpress.com/2013/09/24/blank-screen-led-error-codes/

Can you match with anything on the above linked page?

A reset does not automatically lose you all your data, so....

Press and Hold the PWR off button for 4 seconds to force a PWR off.

Unplug from the wall.

If you see a battery compartment door, your computer has a removable battery. Remove the battery.

This is valid for most notebooks;

Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds to complete the reset.

Re-insert any battery you removed.

Try and tell us of any changes please.

HP Recommended

HP LAPTOP WILL NOT BOOT UP, AFTER SHUTTING ITSELF DOWN.  YELLOW IGHT ON EDGE FLASHES.  POWER BUTTON LIGHT AND CAP LIGHT STAYS ON.  TRIES REMOVING BATTERY OVERNIGHT, AND UNPLUGGING, AND HOLDING POWER BUTTON FOR 30 SECONDS, ETC.    HAVE NOT TRIED PUTING IT IN THE FREEZER OVERNIGHT.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.