Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Envy 15-j100 receives power from adapter but power button does not work

Envy 15z-j100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop will no longer turn on.  When the AC adapter is plugged in, the LED light is white indicating power is arriving at the laptop. However, nothing happens when I push the power button.

Troubleshooting steps I have completed already include:

1. Hard reset (several times including after each step below)
  2. Tried starting without the battery
  3. Removed all removable components and reseated them
  4. Removed all removable components as well as bottom cover. Cleaned with compressed air. Put everything back.

Nothing appears wrong and nothing happened between the last time it turned on and this time that I am aware of. The laptop is out of warranty, and I am pretty handy with computers. Is there anything that can be suggested short of a hardware replacement that would help get this resolved?

TIA

4 REPLIES 4
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
13855 13771 777 898
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@jthayne Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out :)

As I understand the computer receives power from adapter but power button does not work,

Don't worry, please perform the below steps to resolve the issue:

If the computer does not start, the LED lights do not glow, and the display is black, you can perform one or more of the following actions to resolve the no power issue: 

1. Examine the adapter and power cord for physical damage

2. Test the power from the AC wall outlet to the notebook connector

3. Start computer using the battery only

4. Check that the lid switch moves freely

5. When you have completed the troubleshooting steps covered in this document, there should be power available to the computer. When you press the power button, the LEDs should glow, and you should hear the sounds of the fan and the hard drive spinning.

* If the battery does not accept the charge or the notebook does not turn on without the AC adapter, contact HP to order a replacement battery.

* If the LEDs do not glow, and there are no other indicators of power being available to the computer, contact HP for technical assistance in troubleshooting a potential problem with the AC power connection or the system board.

* If the LEDs blink or the computer beeps, but it does not start, go to HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting LED Blink Codes or Beep Codes During Startup or Boot.

* If the LEDs glow but the computer does not start on either battery or AC power, go to Troubleshooting Black Screen Displays with No Error Messages During Startup or Boot.

Eager to help, I hope you have a good day ahead, And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
jthayne Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@sandytechy20 Thank you for your response. I have tried all those options except number four. How do I check the lid switch? Do you have some instructions on how to do that?

Thanks,

Joseph

0 Kudos
jthayne Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@sandytechy20 After further research, I found this article: HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting No LED Lights Glow During Startup or Boot. It outlines the steps you gave me and gave me further details regarding the lid switch.

From what I can determine, this model has no external lid switch, so I am unable to test that option.

All the rest of the solutions you gave have to do with making sure the laptop is receiving power.  As I stated in my original post, the laptop does receive power. However, nothing happens when the power button itself is pressed.

Is there anything else I can check on this? The laptop is desperately needed for my wife to complete her internship.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
16217 16197 1159 1717
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! @jthayne, thanks for the response.

Thanks for performing the troubleshooting steps.

As you mentioned that even after troubleshooting issue still persists.

It's a hardware problem with the power button or power button board on the laptop which could have gone bad.

Please contact HP for service options.

Link to contact HP: http://hp.care/2bkTGBQ

Have a great day! :)

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation