Post new question
Question

Tutor
Message 1 of 20 (5,522 Views)

Envy 17 3D overheating and shutting down

[ Edited ]
  1. HP ENVY 17t-2000 CTO 3D Edition Notebook PC
  2. Windows 7 64-bit , home edition
  3. after the computer reboots a blue screen with red and white text is shown with a thermal over heat message stating that because the extreme heat the PC shutdown.
  4. I update anything from HP support assistant and regular windows updates.  Nothing stands out as a major system update.  I believe there may have been a bios update in janurary i just dont remember.  I didnt notice the issue till last month.
  5. I played games like skyrim for hours on end with no performance issues but now even the simplest of games will over heat the machine and crash it with in 10 minutes even on the lowest settings.

I read some other posts with envy 17 overheating no clear resolve. I always update everything that HP support center has to offer so my bios and drivers should be current.  I have even made sure I updated the HP support center from the hp site to make sure its current.

As a side note I use this notebook stand with port replicator connected to a 24" monitor through HDMI. I have been using this setup at home since I got the laptop.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Accessories/Docking-Stations-and-Stands/VY84...

when im on travel I use this travel adapter.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/AC-Adapters-and-Batteries/Laptop-AC-Adapters...

0 Kudos
Tutor
Message 2 of 20 (5,490 Views)

Re: Envy 17 3D overheating and shutting down

Anyone? is this a support forum? This problem hasnt just gone away I dont know what else to do can someone please reply with something helpful?

Master's Graduate
Message 3 of 20 (5,485 Views)

Hello,

You overheating problem is a simple matter of breathing. The laptop needs to breathe, and yours isn't. You need to either get a can of compressed air and blast it into the vents to clear out buildup of dust debris, or take the laptop apart and clean it.

If it were a rattler. . . . 

Tutor
Message 4 of 20 (5,466 Views)

Thanks for the reply but I did that before and didnt solve anything.  last night I decided to reinstall every driver i could find, not just the video and bios like I did before, through HP support.  Some of them i already installed a few days ago but i did it again any way.  I was able to play diablo 3 all night with out it shutting down which it usually did after 10 min of playing.  I will monitor for the next week and report if it continues to be stable.

Master's Graduate
Message 5 of 20 (5,463 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Yes, that is what we were going to try next if the problem persisted; here's a thread of mine to updated moded drivers; scroll to the fifth window:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/HD-5650-has-new-Catalyst-Control-Center-...

If it were a rattler. . . .

Honor Student
Message 6 of 20 (5,407 Views)

bpace77 - Just wondering how this is going as I have the same problem.

Thanks Smiley Happy
Tutor
Message 7 of 20 (5,405 Views)

I tried before to reinstall the video drivers and use compressed air but it didnt help. Out of frustration I went ahead and reinstalled every driver and it didnt over heat after that. I dont know which driver was the rogue driver but reinstalling it worked.

hit the start button then type in Recovery Manager and launch it. In the "I need help immediatly" section select "Hardware Driver Reinstallation".  I would start with reinstalling the video drivers and go from there until you finde the culpret.

Your issue, although similar, may not be the same as mine but reinstalling the drivers wont hurt.  Good luck.

Honor Student
Message 8 of 20 (5,371 Views)

Thanks for the instructions ... went through every driver and re-installed to no avail...

Have even wiped the laptop and started from scratch again and still getting the same results...

Wondering if there are any other ways to get this working... Missing out on Diablo big time! Tried running Starcraft and Warhammer both have the same issue...

Associate Professor
Message 9 of 20 (5,295 Views)

Please call into HP Support at @  1800 HP Invent - and request some service.

regards,

I am an HP employee.

"Did my response help with your issue? If so, please give me Kudos by clicking the "Kudos" button or mark the post that solved your problem as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!"
Honor Student
Message 10 of 20 (4,494 Views)

[ Edited ]

just a thought... don't have the 3D version but if I'm streaming  live 1080p video on my Envy 17-2000CTO via direct external link for say over an hour my left front corner of the PC gets EXTREMELY hot to touch...and if via wireless link it has actually mildly reddened/blistered skin if touched.

think HP's design needs a do over here.

in the meantime I've had some success with an elevated self powered fan type of under mat/stand (Targus Chill Mat worked but spend the extra for the full sized one or it's useless)...also connect it to an external power source NOT via PC USB ports or it simply contributes to the over heating.

also (and this a real pain) kill all running processes not directly related to the task of the moment. log off from any applications sending push alerts or keeping track of your location, etc. (a cookie sweep helps here too)

the ONLY TRUE way I've avoided this issue is to a) unplug your PC's external power after a full charge. b) reconfigure switchable graphics if you have the option to full speed. c) rock on until the battery takes a dump....

it's a portable power consuming notebook with compressed and miniature cooling components. nothing akin to a stand alone tower or desktop. it can only survive for limited periods - then either rest or break down.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation