ICTranger Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Envy x360 freezing

HP Envy x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Laptop will randomly feeze to the point it becomes completely unresponsive and requires a hard reset.  This has happened consistently since I've had the laptop.

In the last couple month the frequency has rapidly increased.  I have contacted HP Support numerous times and continue to get different answers and the run around each time.

- All Windows and BIOS updates are ran

- I did a clean reinstall of Windows based on recommendation from the chat session.

Then I had one agent tell me it was probably malware and needed to send me a recovery disk, then the next person said it was a bad Microsoft update.  I've done everything asked and I still have a laptop that is constantly freezing, and this is becoming increasingly frustrating.

I've noticed this seems to be a common issue with my model of laptop, and wondering if there is a fix for it.

Please someone help me out here.

5 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
15941 1261 2174
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post

Envy x360 freezing

@ICTranger

Thank you for showing your interest in the HP Forums,
I’d like to help :)

As I understand the laptop has been locking up or freezing at times, though, you've reinstalled windows,

here are a few steps you may attempt to resolve the issue:

Microsoft Fix it Solution to automatically improve system performance or lockup issues.

click the Microsoft Fix it Solution:

MS Fixit 974820

Turning off nonessential graphical features to improve system performance

Graphical features and programs can use a lot of system resources. Turning off these features can improve system performance.
This section explains how to adjust visual effects for best performance and how to disable Windows Aero.

Adjusting visual effects for best performance

Disabling Windows Aero

for more details, please click here

perform a hardware test on the hard drive to ensure it's not a hard drive failure: Click here

Let me know if those steps worked for you.  If they did, that’s awesome!  Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
ICTranger Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post

Envy x360 freezing

Completed the steps listed below.  2 hours after just working on a Word doc and it has frozen again.

The hard drive check came back as "Passed"

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
15941 1261 2174
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post

Envy x360 freezing

@ICTranger

Thank you for replying,

Since the hardware tests have passed, it's definately not a hard drive failure,

I recommend reinstalling the windows as the last resort to fix the issue,

If the issue persists, you might want to make use of the recovery media (you may have created shortly after you purchased your computer),

If not, please order the recovery media using the official HP Website or contact phone support to get one for yourself.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:

http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Kent318 Honor Student
Honor Student
1 0 1
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post

Envy x360 freezing

Uhm, I've seen many HDD crash after passing diagnostics.

Provost Provost
Provost
43179 3178 13305
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post

Envy x360 freezing

As mentioned by @Kent318 I have also seen a hdd crash after passing diagnostics. It could also be bad memory. Diagnostics run inside Windows is especially unreliable,imo. I would use F2 diagnostics if you haven't.

Immediately after powering on start tapping the Esc key. This will open a menu where F2 System Diagnostics is an option. Tap F2 key and run the tests.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation