Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy x360 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Laptop is roughly two years old, this problem has existed for ~3 months. 

Laptop will randomly shut down and restart instantly, sometimes coming up with blue screen. 

When blue screen arises, details are

Stop code KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

what failed Netwtw04.sys

I defrag and run maintenance on this laptop regularly, including iObit driver updater. 

Obviously this problem means I have lost documents etc and can be very frustrating. Often happens when running high-capacity programs, like Skype, but it's not consistent - I can have 3-hour Skype chats completely fine but one day I start Spotify and run Chrome and it restarts. 

Any help appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@JM15793

Welcome to HP Forums 🙂

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand, your notebook shuts down and restart randomly. It is also giving Blue Screen Error while restarting,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

Does this happen only with Skype software?

Do you face this issue with certain software or all?

When was the last time it worked fine?

Have you made any hardware/software changes on your PC?

What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824

(Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Do you have more than one Antivirus program installed on your PC?

Are you having issues connecting the notebook to Wi-Fi?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps to resolve the issue: 

Uninstall and reinstall Wi-Fi Drivers:

Use the Windows Device Manager to uninstall the wireless adapter and then install the latest driver.

Video of Reinstalling the wireless network adapter through Device Manager

1. If you are using an external USB wireless network adapter or cellular broadband device, unplug it, restart your computer, then plug it into a different USB port after Windows opens.
  2. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
  3. Double-click Network adapters.
  4. Right-click the name of your wireless network adapter, then select Uninstall.

NOTE: If the name of the network adapter is missing from the network adapters category, the network adapter hardware is not connected or the device driver cannot Plug and Play. If this happens, shut down the computer and check the hardware connection to your wireless adapter hardware.

Service the computer if problems are found.

The name of the adapter itself will vary, this is dependent upon what is installed on your PC.

5. When the Confirm Device Uninstall screen is displayed, click OK and wait for the device to be uninstalled.

Do not select "Delete the driver software for this device"

6. At the top of the Device Manager window, click Action, then select Scan for hardware changes.

The computer reinstalls the wireless network, and the wireless network adapter name is shown in the Network adapters category.

7. After the network adapter name shows in Device Manager, close Device Manager and restart the computer.
  8. Try connecting to the Internet again. If problems persist, continue to the next step.

Update Wi-Fi drivers:

1. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
  2. Double-click Network adapters.
  3. Right-click the name of your wireless network adapter, then select  Update Driver Software.
  4. Follow on-screen instruction,

Run sfc /scannow: System File Checker is a utility in Windows 10 that checks for system file corruption.

• In the search box on the taskbar, enter Command Prompt. Press and hold (or right-click) Command Prompt (Desktop app) from the search results and select Run as administrator.
  • Enter sfc /scannow (note the space between "sfc" and "/").

Also, run a system test on your computer to ensure hardware is good: 

• Press the Power button to turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second, until you see HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI.
  • From the UEFI main menu, click System Tests, then click Quick Test.
  • Click Run once.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component are shown on the screen. The test can take up to 15 minutes.
  • If no system component failed, please go back to main menu and Exit from the screen
  • If a component fails a test, write down the information so you have it available when you contact HP Customer Support. The information is also available in Test Logs on the main menu.

Keep me posted,

For I shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed,

And your device is up and running again,

Have a great day 🙂

Cheers 🙂 

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for your response. 

The notebook is shutting down each time I use it, shortly (up to an hour) after I start it up, and it occurs only after opening an intensive program of some form. It does not always have blue screen, usually just shutting off with a soft pop and restarting, and then working fine for the rest of the session. 

Does this happen only with Skype software? Do you face this issue with certain software or all?

No, this happens every time I begin to use my computer with any software. It seems to occcur when I operate the laptop at a high capacity , for instance watching youtube in split screen mode or using intensive software like Skype or Zoom. 

When was the last time it worked fine?

About three months ago, I thought it was an update issue from Windows and waited for the next round of updates. 

Have you made any hardware/software changes on your PC?

No.

What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824

P/N: X8M13EA#ABU

(Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Do you have more than one Antivirus program installed on your PC?

No, only iObit Advanced System Care. 

Are you having issues connecting the notebook to Wi-Fi?

None. Internet connection is perfect.

Thank you for your time. I am worried this is an overheating issue but there is always excellent airflow around the device and I keep the fans clean, so there should not be any issues. I will go through the steps you have described. 

HP Recommended

@JM15793

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉

I appreciate your time and efforts,

If your notebook restarts unexpectedly, I would suggest you try the steps mentioned below "Windows restarts for no apparent reason" from the link: https://hp.care/2JsyOGf.

Let me know how this goes 🙂

I will follow up with you 😉

Cheers!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.